pulled nail from one of my tires...no leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so today I am rotating my tires and I pull a nail end out of one of the rain grooves in the center of the tread. It went in about 1/8 of an inch but didn't puncture the tire. I ran water over the hole just to be sure and no bubbles or even slow leak.

Should I have this looked at? Is there any repair or just forget it?

Water won't really show a leak, mix some dish soap with water and put it in a spray bottle and spray it. Thats how we find leaks at work in the truck tires.

Punctured tyres can be plugged, but if it was mine I'd leave it be. See if it's still holding pressure tomorrow and decide from there

Originally Posted By: Doog
I pull a nail end out of one of the rain grooves

To late now...but if it's in a groove and isn't leaking...just leave it.

Fill it with LiquiTube,to make sure it doesn't leak.That is....if its not TPMS equipped.

No leak, no worries. If it does leak, install or have installed a proper patch. Plugs are a contingency repair in my book.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I've had nails go squarely into a solid tread block where after removal they didn't leak.

Same here. Just be glad you found it before it dug into the tire enough to become a problem.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Ok so today I am rotating my tires and I pull a nail end out of one of the rain grooves in the center of the tread. It went in about 1/8 of an inch but didn't puncture the tire. I ran water over the hole just to be sure and no bubbles or even slow leak.

Should I have this looked at? Is there any repair or just forget it?

Just count your blessings.
No harm no foul in this case.

I found one, and it was right at about the time for my first rotation. I bought them at Costco, so I figured it was a good time for everything, with free repair or replacement as well as rebalance. They actually dismounted it and told me it didn't go through and should be good.

I think there's a small possibility that a puncture doesn't cause a leak, but still exposes the belts to moisture/oxygen. The preferred repair is to drill it out so there aren't any jagged pieces of belt, then fill the hole with a plug, and finally a patch to positively seal the inside. My screw was over a tread block, so I'm thinking it probably didn't go that deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back