Cruze vs. Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a Cruze with the 1.8l manual - I like it well enough (though I rarely drive it) but I will say I was unhappy the thermostat needed to be replaced at 35K and the valve cover gasket has slight seepage.

The discount was still enough through rebates and negotiated price that I would buy it again though. No experience with the Dart.

Good luck!

Mopar or no car! I have a 2014 dart gt. Love the car so far. Has 17k miles trouble free and no recalls. Only cons are some small rattles around the car but I have never owned a vehicle that hasn't had a rattle somewhere inside of it, and at least on the gt I get about 28mpg but I also drive pretty hard

Keep in mind the competition in this segment! There is a lot of vehicles to choose from and(in their own way) they're all quite good! Finding one(1) vehicle that one(people/person) can live with is the key! They all have their +'s & -'s.

In my personal situation, I find that the next category up(midsize family class), is a better choice in terms of:

Overall comfort

Not a lot more money, IMHO!

Similar MPG

Better power, even in 4 cyl configuration

etc.

If those are the only two choices: buy what you like or buy for price.
Both have been somewhat problematic either from a perspective of mechanical issues or recall issues. No advantage or disadvantage there.
If I had to select between those two, I would probably would go Cruze but that would be only after I vetted other options.

I still don't get why somebody would limit themselves to these two particular cars regardless off the discount. Assuming they are paying for it, find the right car for the money they are spending. Why the artificial constraint?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I still don't get why somebody would limit themselves to these two particular cars regardless off the discount. Assuming they are paying for it, find the right car for the money they are spending. Why the artificial constraint?

To get a CPO Civic LX for the same price as my Cruze Eco, you have to get 50,000+ mile car

To get a CPO Corolla with manual for the same price, you have to get a manual window, plastic hubcap car.

Volkswagen's CPO warranty is 1/4 as long as everyone else's

To get a manual transmission in a Lancer, you have to get a basic ES model. Plus, - Mitsubishi. Will there be a company to honor it?

CPO Mazda 3 in that price range is the oddly styled leering grin model. Car is a good driver but that front end...
33.gif

The Sentra is a sharp looking car....and slower than Christmas.

I honestly liked the Cruze better than the Focus sedan. Maybe if there had been a similar year/mileage/price manual 5-door, that would have tipped the scales in the other direction

I only found one Impreza manual. It was a little higher and it was plain vanilla white.

The Civic, Impreza, and Cruze all run 0-60 around the same time. The Cruze feels faster doing it. Torque peak is at a diesel low 1850. 20 more ft-lbs of torque than the Civic 3000 rpm earlier.

Of the Cruze and the Dart (I have no direct experience with either car, outside of seeing them on the road, or at a car show), I personally would choose the Dart, for a few reasons:

#1 - I like the styling of the Dart more than the Cruze.
#2 - I have direct experience with the 1.4 turbo engine in the Dart, due to my wife owning a 2012 Fiat Abarth. It's a good little motor, and having more room to change the oil filter on the front of the engine would be a huge bonus with the Dart.
#3 - 4 wheel disc brakes on the Dart. I don't want drum brakes, period.

BC.

Yea the 2.4 multiair is a good little engine also. The gt has a sport tuned suspension that handles so good. I've made 3 trips in 2014 to orlando from Louisiana about a 10 hr trip one way with zero issures and averaged about 30mpg on all trips. Now I know that's low in this car segment but the gt uses a higher gear ratio than a regular dart. Overall I love the dart. Also I work a lot up north and spent 3 months in southern Indiana in the dead of winter and the car handles well in the snow and never had a problem with starting in sub freezing temps

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Of the Cruze and the Dart (I have no direct experience with either car, outside of seeing them on the road, or at a car show), I personally would choose the Dart, for a few reasons:

#1 - I like the styling of the Dart more than the Cruze.
#2 - I have direct experience with the 1.4 turbo engine in the Dart, due to my wife owning a 2012 Fiat Abarth. It's a good little motor, and having more room to change the oil filter on the front of the engine would be a huge bonus with the Dart.
#3 - 4 wheel disc brakes on the Dart. I don't want drum brakes, period.

BC.

For #2, the oil filter on the Cruze's 1.4T is a top-mounted cartridge. Easy-peasy to change with a 24mm socket and 6" extension. Put a paper towel down on the transmission to catch any drips. The whole oil change can be done without getting under the car with a Mityvac 7201.

For #3, the drums work just fine in the real world. I've had my car down at Watkins Glen for some fast paced laps on a few occasions, towing ~800 lbs of trailer/gear on occasion, and living in some very hilly areas of New York. The car has always stopped predictably. Mine's still on the OEM rotors/pads/shoes at 105k miles after all that. Likely they won't need changing for another 50-70k miles since there's still a lot of pad left.

Ive had both as rentals and have covered consdierable distance in both. The cruze I had last week was really, really good, but so was the dart I had a few weeks before.

Both are surprisingly quiet.

The cons that I came up with are as follows:

Cruze:
-steering seems really twitchy

Dart:
-headlights are really bad, almost a deal breaker

Honestly while the corolla and civics that ive rented have also been really good, neither are as good as the two domestics IMO. Both bring their own flavors to the table, and may be more efficient, but neither are as good in a total package, IMO.

I think if I had to buy a car in that class tomorrow, Id go for the cruze eco MT.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive had both as rentals and have covered consdierable distance in both. The cruze I had last week was really, really good, but so was the dart I had a few weeks before.

Both are surprisingly quiet.

The cons that I came up with are as follows:

Cruze:
-steering seems really twitchy

Dart:

Honestly while the corolla and civics that ive rented have also been really good, neither are as good as the two domestics IMO. Both bring their own flavors to the table, and may be more efficient, but neither are as good in a total package, IMO.

I think if I had to buy a car in that class tomorrow, Id go for the cruze eco MT.

laugh.gif
thumbsup2.gif

The on center feel is lacking in the Cruze. Most EPS cars seem to have that problem.

The Corolla is boring and has a really bad EPS. Is that wheel connected to anything mechanically? Feels like it isn't.

I've had 2 Civics and an Integra. You'd think I'd go for the Civic. I don't like the FB Civic. It's a good enough car, but I liked the Focus and Cruze better.

And I love looking at the mixed driving average fuel economy display on the Cruze and seeing the equivalent of the Civic's freeway mpg.

I think the Focus and the Cruze are the best cars in the segment now.

Dart:

I'm usually not one to complain much about something on a car, but Chrysler's current implementation of single-pot 9012 projectors with a switchable shield is absolutely dreadful in my experience. They were terrible in a rental 300 I had. One of the switchable shields was already dead to begin with...so I only had high beams on one side. But those projectors do a rather poor job in my opinion of lighting what you want to see. Curiously, down-road vision seems poor AND side vision seems poor. You'd think that one might be optimized over the other, but Dodge's implementation leaves NOTHING in real focus.

These lamps (Dart, 300, and Ram trucks with the 9012 projectors) are often complained about on the Candlepower forums.

The Cruze's lamps, despite using "tamer" H13 bulbs, have got to work better.

Have to say I was pretty impressed by the headlights on a rented Avenger last spring...I did a couple hours on (totally-unlit) US30 through Indiana and they were superb.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The Cruze's lamps, despite using "tamer" H13 bulbs, have got to work better.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Cruze lights. To the point that they reminded me of the lights on my 04 saab, which are REALLY good.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Forgot about the focus. Ive had mixed luck, one that didnt feel that great and was rather cramped and loud, one that was about perfect.

Not sure if they were the exact same model though, the one I loved was a hatch.

Seems like the entire class is quite good. Not sure of the bad choices just the flavor of good ice cream you like.

Great time to be buying a brand new car in this class where before you definitely scaraficed and took the lessor of all evils. Former 90's Civic, 95 Cavalier(thankfully destroyed by construction vehicle parked) and early 2000's Subaru Impreza/WRX owner.

Forgot about the focus. Ive had mixed luck, one that didnt feel that great and was rather cramped and loud, one that was about perfect.

I don't like the Focus' DCT automated manual. Not one bit.

I did like the Focus sedan with a manual. I just liked the Cruze sedan better. If there had been a Focus 5-door with a manual in that price range I probably would have gone with it.

I didn't like how much the dash intrudes on the passenger side. There may be a safety reason for it or something. It forces the front passenger back and intrudes on rear legroom.

The five spoke Crager S/S styled wheels look weird on that body design. they are not bad looking wheels by themselves. they just don't fit the rest of the car's style.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Seems like the entire class is quite good. Not sure of the bad choices just the flavor of good ice cream you like.

Great time to be buying a brand new car in this class where before you definitely scaraficed and took the lessor of all evils. Former 90's Civic, 95 Cavalier(thankfully destroyed by construction vehicle parked) and early 2000's Subaru Impreza/WRX owner.

Basically. Now that they've moved into mid-size sedan sizing/pricing, and are Americanized versions of successful overseas family cars.

I don't like the Focus' DCT automated manual. Not one bit.

I did like the Focus sedan with a manual. I just liked the Cruze sedan better. If there had been a Focus 5-door with a manual in that price range I probably would have gone with it.

I didn't like how much the dash intrudes on the passenger side. There may be a safety reason for it or something. It forces the front passenger back and intrudes on rear legroom.

The five spoke Crager S/S styled wheels look weird on that body design. they are not bad looking wheels by themselves. they just don't fit the rest of the car's style.

Trans still comes off jerky to me....

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Honestly...unless it came with a lifetime/unlimited mileage warranty, I would not own a DCT on a bet!

Not sure if they are that bad, but they can sure handle strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back