Which Filter is better....Fram Ultra or Wix/Napa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
synthetic/platinum filter. IMO both are great extended drain filters. Just these 2 filters...if you have an opinion.....

Last edited:
What is the efficiency of the Wix XP (Napa Platinum)?

I've read something quite low like 50% at 20 microns but I haven't seen it confirmed.

Fram claims 99% at 20 microns which is really good, that's why I got them lined up for my future oil changes on both my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: mongo161
synthetic/platinum filter. IMO both are great extended drain filters. Just these 2 filters...if you have an opinion.....

The Wix/Napa is more closely aligned to a Fram TG. You are trying to compare a Cadillac to a Buick.

Wix/Napa Gold would be comparable to a Fram TG. Wix XP/Napa Platinum would be comparable to a Fram Ultra.

Depends on your OCI, both are good filters and largely comparable. The numbers aren't really relevant in terms of engine protection, at their respective levels, they protect your engine well enough.

IMNSHO, the difference is quality, and Wix has it hands down. I have never understood how a company that sells mostly Orange Cans Of Death could be trusted to make a high quality filter. If you take the time to tear one apart, you'll see it's really [censored]. When i was young and foolish, i once took one off my car and the innards had blown right out of the can and there were strands of filter that came out the attachment tube!

So, if the actual performance isn't appreciably different, i go with overall quality, and Wix is tops.

Wix/NAPA Gold does the same job as FRAM Ultra for less money.

You can also expect high quality construction and great QC routinely from Wix.

End of story...

The jury is still out on the flow of the Fram ultra and the price is just ok not great. Not when you can get filters for less than half that. I am using one now and the construction seems to be very nice. I have yet to get the flow rates of that filter. All they told me is its good.. But so are my jobber filters and i pay under $1.70 for most of them.
I will cut it open when i am done with it. This may be the only fram i would buy and use for two oci's and then send a sample of the oil to blackstone. So far i have about 900 miles on that filter and all is good. I am impressed so far.

I say FRAM Ultra--if you use it for the OCI it is intended for which is 15K thereby getting a decent ROI. Everything the WIX can do the Ultra can too and it is more widely available. Plenty of people bashing FRAM these days and most of that bashing is from days gone past (similar to the wax buildup caused by QS and Pennzoil of yesteryear) or for the bottom line filter which is night and day different than the Ultra. I would not use an Extra Guard (better filters for the money), but I am glad my prejudice against the ExtraGuard do not prevent me from trying the Ultra which lives up to its marketing promises. Times change--too bad most of the mindsets do not.

It's no contest, the Fram Ultra is highly superior to the Wix XP or Napa Platinum in construction and performance. The Ultra media is much more robust too, which is part of the reason it achieves higher efficiency.

Then there's processed and availability issues. I can find certain Ultras on the Web $7 ish

I was always wondering why wix is always so hard to find in NJ...Even my filter guy says that if Wix was in all the stores and they were priced rite they would outsell a lot of the others. They have to be displayed like the frams and purolaters so people can see them!

Their top of the line synthetic filters, I'd go with Fram Ultra, the numbers on it are just so nice it's hard to pass up. However, I'm sure your engine would last just as long using the Wix synthetic filter.

Non-synthetic filters, I'd go with a Wix over a Fram Tough Guard or orange can.

How do we really know synthetic media is better and how do we know which filter or filter company has the best media. But if syn is really better than the paper one i guess i agree with you.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Depends on your OCI, both are good filters and largely comparable. The numbers aren't really relevant in terms of engine protection, at their respective levels, they protect your engine well enough.

IMNSHO, the difference is quality, and Wix has it hands down. I have never understood how a company that sells mostly Orange Cans Of Death could be trusted to make a high quality filter. If you take the time to tear one apart, you'll see it's really [censored]. When i was young and foolish, i once took one off my car and the innards had blown right out of the can and there were strands of filter that came out the attachment tube!

So, if the actual performance isn't appreciably different, i go with overall quality, and Wix is tops.

Im not sure whether you are referencing the Fram Extra Guard (orange can) or Fram Ultra, but I have torn both apart and both are of good construction for there intended OCI's. I have never seen a Fram Orange can / Fram Ultra that didn't do its job for the intended OCI. I have seen a lot of white cans on the other hand....

Fram Ultra is a stout filter for a higher price but well worth it. I have never had any problems with their low end filters.. And I have used lots of them. But the Ultra is rock solid. Unlike Pennzoil Ultra in which one cannot find like a unicorn in the woods.. This Ultra from can be easily found
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back