Wix Website Shows gpm, Micron Rating, & Lots More

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed looking at the Wix website that they tell you a lot about the specs of their filters such as the gpm max flow rate" Burst pressure, Nominal micron rating relief valve settings and some other things also of the filter you are looking at.
I don't see all that on other oil filter websites unless i am missing it. I like seeing the flow rates and some of the other things Wix has listed and they proudly post them for everyone to see. Some of the other filter companies seem like they want to keep some of this information a big secret. We are in discussion with our filter supplier in reference to wix to possibly become our permanent filter supplier for our new shop filter and noticed this when he sent us the Wix website. Pretty impressive that they don't seem to have anything to hide but who knows. We buy in bulk for our shop and supply 4 other machine/engine shops in our association and that gets us a great deal and makes us one of my filter guys largest accounts so he really treats us well.

Yes, their website is nice, and I like all the info they provide. I've never heard anyone speak ill of a Wix filter. Everyone always holds them in high regards. People will argue that other filters are better (larger capacity/longer filter change intervals, finer micron ratings, etc) but overall Wix filters are excellent.

With all the talk of the Purolator tears, I decided to switch filters for a little while until everything gets sorted out. I'm currently using a Napa Gold filter (made by Wix), and am about to buy a few Wix filters to hold me over for the rest of the year.

Hope you get a good price, it'd be nice to see a shop using excellent filters like Wix.

We are talking price now.. They are jobber filters and we will be paying around $1.40 or so for most of them, some are a little more. That is delivered to my shop and includes a few other things But this price is for a few hundred of them. I am not sure of the name on the filter but they are made by Wix.

Are they Parts Master or Pro Tec? Those are WIX made I believe
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Amazing people are not discussing this topic.

Some of us are a little disappointed that the data on the Wix website seems to have been a little whitewashed, notably with respect to the beta ratios. Every filter is now magically identical in that regard. Also, with Wix XP is guaranteed by Wix customer service to have very poor filtering.

I trust the products, but I'm not so sure about the numbers.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Amazing people are not discussing this topic.

Some of us are a little disappointed that the data on the Wix website seems to have been a little whitewashed, notably with respect to the beta ratios. Every filter is now magically identical in that regard. Also, with Wix XP is guaranteed by Wix customer service to have very poor filtering.

I trust the products, but I'm not so sure about the numbers.
wink.gif

Ditto.
There info is interesting, but the beta data has become indistinguishable.

I used to get all wrapped up in which filter was "best", but all my studies show it makes no practical difference.

I am a fan of Wix/NG filters. But my go-to filter has become the Fram TG with longer FCIs. Cannot beat the price and availability and performance as packaged.

I, too, used to get wrapped up in the numbers, but there are too few cases where we can find meaningful numbers (i.e. the real numbers and the methodology) to worry about it. If it's well constructed and sensibly priced, I'm happy.

What do you mean by this?

Also, with Wix XP is guaranteed by Wix customer service to have very poor filtering.

Hello, I'm pretty sure I understand what posts here are saying about similar looking filter performance data.

SUBSTANTIVE INSPIRATIONAL ANECDOTE:
Notable thing I like about WIX and Hastings filters is their apparent honesty. Why?, you ask.
My sister bought a 2012 Mazda3iTouring. Its new 2L engine (1998 cc) calls for a 0W-20 oil.
The filters for the old 2L engine fit.
Most filter companies' websites I looked at crossed the old filter to the new engine (Boo-Hiss).
WIX and Hastings needed time to come up with a new listing. I assume they designed a new filter. Kira

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
What do you mean by this?

Also, with Wix XP is guaranteed by Wix customer service to have very poor filtering.

I just mean that Wix customer service gives us a very low efficiency rating on the Wix XP, and I'm not sure I believe them that it's that low. It just seems much like how the Motorcraft site had artificially low efficiency some years back, and how the regular Wix beta ratios have been whitewashed.

Essentially, I trust the Wix products, but I'm not so sure about the customer service personnel.
wink.gif

At a minimum, any filter will meet OE spec. Some here call them rock catchers. They work for the OEM, they work for me. But this is BITOG...

WIX makes a quality filter. I wouldnt get caught up on their GPM though. Wouldnt this be application specific?

Efficiently is over-rated too. Just go for the cheaper filter that fits your needs and you'll be golden.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
At a minimum, any filter will meet OE spec. Some here call them rock catchers. They work for the OEM, they work for me. But this is BITOG...

Yep, that's it. As I mentioned, I'd "like" the most efficient possible filtration system, but I certainly don't need it, and I don't want to pay for it. As long as the filter doesn't plug up over a moderate OCI, its media doesn't degrade like crepe paper, and it meets minimum specs without breaking the bank, I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Efficiently is over-rated too. Just go for the cheaper filter that fits your needs and you'll be golden.

That's WIX. I run them for 6+6 (two OCIs). But I'm willing to try Fram Tough Guard next. I had no idea, until yesterday, that the Tough Guard has synthetic blend filtration. That peaked my interest, being both filter brands are roughly the same price.

WIX has stronger endcaps and Fram has stronger fiber. So it's a toss-up with me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That's WIX. I run them for 6+6 (two OCIs). But I'm willing to try Fram Tough Guard next. I had no idea, until yesterday, that the Tough Guard has synthetic blend filtration. That peaked my interest, being both filter brands are roughly the same price.

WIX has stronger endcaps and Fram has stronger fiber. So it's a toss-up with me.

Even the orange can is about 20% synthetic fiber media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back