Anybody following World Cup Cricket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a fantastic tournament so far. High scoring matches, incredible batting, records being broken.

2 mouthwatering semi finals and a final to go in the next 7 days.

It's playing havoc with my sleeping patterns though!

Yup, I love cricket. Totally excited for the semis. I have been watching on Sky Sports 2 / Sky Sports World Cup online. I wish my cable provider offered Willow Cricket, as it would be worth the money.

O I know, I'm cheap when it comes to that sort of thing.

I really hope cricket catches on in the US. The lack of grounds is keeping it back, as we have a large South Asian population here that would be a good player base. Also the USACA going through such political turmoil, it will not help the game advance in the country until they are stable.

Who do you think will win it?

I think Australia will beat India.

New Zealand / South Africa is a close call. I think South Africa can only win that if they bat first so I give New Zealand the edge overall.

And in a Australia / New Zealand final, I'd like to see New Zealand win it. And I think they could.

I think Australia will beat India handily. India's defeat in the previous series and lack of leadership after Tendulkar's retirement will haunt them until they can rebuild as a team. Also I just don't think Kohli has bee a good captain for the Indian team.

New Zealand will beat South Africa, but barely. I have been very impressed with New Zealand's bowling and batting the past year or so.

In an Australia v New Zealand final, it would be fun to see New Zealand win, but I think Australia would edge them out. It would be exciting as I think both captains will let their batters go for sixes. The ODI format seems to favor fast bowling over spin bowling.

As for broadcasting, I wish ESPN, TSN in Canada, would show the final live. Being almost prime time at least on the Best Coast, they would have a lot of viewers.

I think the combined hosting with Australia and New Zealand has been fantastic. All the grounds have been prepared properly with minimal issues from what I have seen. Plus having the final in the MCG, you could not have a better venue. The only thing that was kind of meh was delaying the AFL season, but that is just me since I love AFL also, St Kilda member here.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I think Australia will beat India handily. India's defeat in the previous series and lack of leadership after Tendulkar's retirement will haunt them until they can rebuild as a team. Also I just don't think Kohli has bee a good captain for the Indian team.

I thought Dhoni was the captain?

I think you may have missed some of the Indian performances since Tendulkar left.

Check this one out: http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013-14/content/story/679829.html

India chased down 359 against Australia with 7 overs to spare and only lost 1 wicket. It was as good a run rate with less wickets lost compared to the famous match where South Africa chased Australia's 434 in 2006.

They are on a winning streak. They thrashed South Africa in the group game. Their batting line up is stronger than Australia's.

Having said that, Australia's bowlers are fantastic and their batting is getting better.

India's problem is that mentally they are not as tough. That's why I have Australia down for the win. But on talent, they are very equal.

It's all about the cricket here, but it's not on free to air TV, so I'm not following it. Sky TV buys up all the sports and free to air just can't afford the prices - I don't pay to watch TV, I'd rather they pay me.

We have a visiting American (over for my daughters wedding yesterday) He keeps asking about the cricket, and last night out on the town he was stopping to watch on screens outside bars. Although cricket is our summer sport, we have never really excelled at world level, so good to see us doing so well.

You're right, Dohni is the ODI captain.

India seems to be kind of hot sometimes, and then they cool off. I think in a series they will get this failure mentality if they lose or draw opening matches and then they just fade away until the next series.

Australia has the advantage of their home grounds. Their depth of bowlers is a huge advantage.

BTW being a cricket fan in the US is rather difficult. Explaining the game in a concise manner to people that have never heard of it can be challenging.

Originally Posted By: Evanson
I wouldn't even consider bringing up cricket in a conversation in the USA!

Why not, I would love that!

Originally Posted By: Evanson
I wouldn't even consider bringing up cricket in a conversation in the USA!

I know nothing about the wicked googly. I'm just a baseball guy.

hotwheels

Not on Eden Park, doesn't matter what sport, we win at Eden Park. Wish the final was there. Well, who woulda thought eh.

Need to watch the semis,
is sky sports free to watch?

I bought a cricket bat and will make kid size out of ash.
We have a bunch of European and SA neighbors, the kids will have fun playing with a tennis ball :)

I'm totally surprised to hear that some of you guys like cricket!
Since The Aussies beat Pakistan I think they'll take the cup. Before it started I honestly thought Pakistan would walk all over most other teams apart from the Windies but it didn't quite pan out like that.. I rate New Zealand as a team but their forte is Rugger. The Aussies, however, have been consistently at or close to the top for a long long time, it usually takes another team to play exceptionally well to beat them.

Really? In USA?? Which school was that?

The only team which (barely) beat the Aussies was New Zealand. The next two matches are going to be interesting to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Really? In USA?? Which school was that?

The only team which (barely) beat the Aussies was New Zealand. The next two matches are going to be interesting to say the least.

No, in England, that's where I'm from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back