I hate working on my Chev Venture...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post here and its kind of a rant but here goes. I recently had to replace the radiator in my 2005 Venture and was originally going to let the locale garage do it until they told me it was a $1000 job so I figured I would do it myself. I got it done in a half a day but was very frustrated to say the least. The next day I installed new plugs and wires which was another real PITA. I don't consider myself a great mechanic and realize that I am going to work a lot slower that a pro but do other folks hate working on these vehicles as much as I do ?? or am I just getting old and cranky.

It's not just limited to Chevy Ventures... Minivans in general SUCK To work on, though the Chrysler minivans aren't as bad.

Last edited:
It just one of many examples of packaging over practicality The designers don't turn wrenches. Your Venture may not be good but it's far from the worst.

Removing the wiper tray on a Chrysler minivans makes plugs easy,and the radiator comes out the top,rather easily.No wonder GM doesn't make minivans anymore.

I feel your pain. I remember changing plugs in my 3.0L Aerostar and cursing the morons who designed it, and the mechanic I paid to change 5 of the 6 plugs in it. I wanted a tune up, I got a hosing instead! I was lazy the first time it needed plugs and working a lot so I decided to pay a shop to do it. Bad move, I found out years when I tackled it what I thought was the case. 1 Motorcraft plug came out, along with 5 AC plugs. Just another one of the many reasons why I try and do everything myself, or watch like a hawk if I can't.

As a tech I can say that there are tons of vehicles that are a major pain to work on. Volkswagons, Bmw's, and Jags come to mind. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to visit a manufacturer to beat the carp out of an engineer. If there's a part on an engine that is the most prone to needing replaced you can bet that some moron engineer buried it so that you have to pull half the engine apart to get to it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I feel your pain. I remember changing plugs in my 3.0L Aerostar and cursing the morons who designed it, and the mechanic I paid to change 5 of the 6 plugs in it. I wanted a tune up, I got a hosing instead! I was lazy the first time it needed plugs and working a lot so I decided to pay a shop to do it. Bad move, I found out years when I tackled it what I thought was the case. 1 Motorcraft plug came out, along with 5 AC plugs. Just another one of the many reasons why I try and do everything myself, or watch like a hawk if I can't.
My 1992 toyota truck v6 came with Nippon Denso Sparkplugs in one head and NKG sparkplugs in the other head from the factory.

Originally Posted By: JohnMack
My first post here and its kind of a rant but here goes. I recently had to replace the radiator in my 2005 Venture and was originally going to let the locale garage do it until they told me it was a $1000 job so I figured I would do it myself. I got it done in a half a day but was very frustrated to say the least. The next day I installed new plugs and wires which was another real PITA. I don't consider myself a great mechanic and realize that I am going to work a lot slower that a pro but do other folks hate working on these vehicles as much as I do ?? or am I just getting old and cranky.
You were wise not to pay them the grand they wanted if it opnly took you half a day. How much was the radiator?

FWD transverse V-6s tend to be a PITA to work on.
Minivans tend to be a PITA to work on.
Combine the two in one vehicle and you have an RPITA.
At least you got the job done and saved yourself a good bit of coin.
WRT the Aerostar demarpaint mentions, not changing the passenger's side rear spark plug was a little trick a lot of shops used. We also had an Aerostar and changing the plugs was a real challenge that would have you searching through your tools for that one magic wrench that would let you finish the job.
Problem is that there is no such wrench.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
FWD transverse V-6s tend to be a PITA to work on.
Minivans tend to be a PITA to work on.
Combine the two in one vehicle and you have an RPITA.

I agree with the above statement.

[/quote] You were wise not to pay them the grand they wanted if it opnly took you half a day. How much was the radiator? [/quote] Brand new radiator was $115.00 at a very reputable radiator repair/sales shop in town.

That price is way high. I charge 3 hrs labor...$261. A new rad about $160,a few more for clamps and coolant.those are not too bad.I'm sure that I can beat the 3 hrs if I'm not bothered. The thermostat is much more frustrating than doing the rad.
'
Figure bout $450 if I did one.

I always worked on an old Chev Venture at school.

I remember under the hood perfectly.

So crammed in there, if you need to change front shocks ratcheting keys work great for the 3 bolts on top.

And this is a guy that owns a Honda Fit!

I did an intake gasket on a Venture for a broke friend of mine. It was a PITA. 2 months later his transmission went out. That too was a PITA.

I recall the factory recommendation for changing the 3 back plugs on a Venture is to put the van on a lift, remove the rear engine mount, and rock the engine forward for clearance! F'in SERIOUSLY?!

Originally Posted By: JohnMack

Would have loved to see you do that back in the day on my old '82 dodge prospector van. That was a pain to work on..

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What brand did they sell you for $115? I won't sell junk like silla or spi. My cost on a good quality rad is about $120.
The new rad is a"CSF" is this a decent brand?? for what its worth it has a two year warranty but lots of fine print to claim it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back