If drain & fill was an PCMO change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
No one does this. What's the point of the thread?

Not only that NO one does this, but perhaps gfh77665 wants to be the one that makes up garbage so it spreads like the "you gotta change your oil at 3000 miles, even though your owners manual says 5K or 7.5 with synthetic."

Originally Posted By: 285south
...gfh77665 wants to be the one that makes up garbage so it spreads like the "you gotta change your oil at 3000 miles, ...

Ah, yes, I am "making up garbage" huh, 285? I guess you are having a really bad day. Hang in there, life is not as bad as it seems, it will pass, 285.

For everyone else who might want a rational discussion without the blatant rudeness, I posted a thoughtful question, with the intent of a civil discussion regarding trans changes.

This was precipitated from the "Is a drain & fill enough" thread recently posted. IMO, I believe a trans flush (disclaimer--->) done at regular intervals, is a superior strategy for trans longevity. The posed oil question was simply an illustration.

YES I know there are some risks "allegedly" involved with a flush, but in 20 years of maintenance, I have never had a hint of a problem with 100% flushes.

I welcome any and all non-hostile thoughts on this, thanks.

Some manufacturers recommend drain and fill so no it is not an issue. 3-4 drain and fills in short time is almost the same as a flush, maybe even superior. A flush doesn't get 100% out so the argument is a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: 285south
...gfh77665 wants to be the one that makes up garbage so it spreads like the "you gotta change your oil at 3000 miles, ...

Ah, yes, I am "making up garbage" huh, 285? I guess you are having a really bad day. Hang in there, life is not as bad as it seems, it will pass, 285.

For everyone else who might want a rational discussion without the blatant rudeness, I posted a thoughtful question, with the intent of a civil discussion regarding trans changes.

This was precipitated from the "Is a drain & fill enough" thread recently posted. IMO, I believe a trans flush (disclaimer--->) done at regular intervals, is a superior strategy for trans longevity. The posed oil question was simply an illustration.

YES I know there are some risks "allegedly" involved with a flush, but in 20 years of maintenance, I have never had a hint of a problem with 100% flushes.

I welcome any and all non-hostile thoughts on this, thanks.

well I don't think any of the replies Before that Post noticed this was in the ATF,Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S Category of the site, esp since you included PCMO in the title (Passenger Car Motor Oil).
They assumed you meant doing that type of service to the engine oil.
At least that's how i read this up to the msg i quoted....

Originally Posted By: earlyre

They assumed you meant doing that type of service to the engine oil.
At least that's how i read this up to the msg i quoted....

Agreed. I have no idea what the original poster is asking about-oil or other fluids? Or comparing oil to other fluids. Or asking if he should just drain a quart out of his oil like some folks do with ATF.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No.

Either leave it alone or change the oil completely, but you can leave the filter on for second OCI.

Are you talking about ATF?

Assuming we are talking about ATF:

For a fluid change, do 1 drain and fill followed by one a year later.

Then siphon what you can through the fill tube and replenish yearly. Do a pan drop/ filter change every other year.. or every 3 years.
smile.gif

Like some others, I didn't notice this was in the ATF, etc forum and was totally baffled by the OP's question. It would have been nice if he had stated what kind of device he was talking about (I'm guessing manual transmission), and also the total capacity of the sump.

So I had two thoughts when I read the original posting on here.

1) Some people already do that. Their vehicle burns 1 quart of oil every X miles (lets say 1,500-2,000 miles), so they keep topping up 1 quart of oil during that time. Rather than do an oil change every 4,000-5,000 miles. They push their oil change interval (OCI) out to 7,000+ miles since they're already adding so much fresh fluid. Previous test have shown that these constant top ups will keep your oil TBN up, and reduce the TAN. However, we know this is not ideal.

2) It the partial drain and fill sounded a lot like what we do with our transmissions. However, a direct comparison can't be made there because transmission fluids are designed to be in service for significantly longer. For example, some manufacturer's will say their transmission fluid is good for 100k miles, or possibly more. People who are rigorous about their car maintenance feel it's better to do a partial drain and fill, and would rather do a D&F ever year or two, to ensure that fresh fluid is always circulating.

This is directly different then the engine oil where manufacturer's suggest changing it out every 3000-10000 miles depending on the manufacturer and vehicle.

The longer OCI for transmissions isn't because transmission oils are significantly more robust than engine oils, but rather engine oils have to deal with significantly harsher conditions (you know that whole "combustion" thing that engines do). Transmission fluids have to deal with pressure, some heat, and metal particles not picked up by the filter. Engine oils have to deal with pressure, higher heat, metal particles, soot, possible fuel or water dilution, etc.

Neither oil has it easy, but engine oil has significantly harsher conditions it has to work in. Hence, the shorter OCIs.

One other thing that occurred to me while writing this. When you change your oil, most of the oil comes out. When you pull the plug on your transmission, usually only about 1/3 of the oil comes out. If only 1/3 of your engine oil came out with every oil change, then the maintenance schedule of your vehicle would probably include regular D&F of the engine oil, with periodic replacements of the filter.

What I was trying to do is draw an illustration, roughly comparing a Trans D&F to a hypothetical motor oil D&F. Yes, I am well aware almost no one really does this, with the exception of beaters with high consumption which add top offs only.

I did make the assumption that by posting it in this "TRANS" forum everyone would see the intent. Apparently not, but thats OK.

IMO, a trans is much better served by a flush exchange, not a D&F.

I understood what you originally posted but perhaps you should have asked it more simply:

"Why is a drain and fill considered acceptable for transmission fluid when it would be unthinkable for engine oil?"

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

I did make the assumption that by posting it in this "TRANS" forum everyone would see the intent. Apparently not, but thats OK.

Most of saw it over in the "Recent Topics" sidebar, where the specific subforums aren't displayed.

Well I started that other thread so I'll explain myself. For me, it's a cost vs benefit thing, or maybe a cost/effort vs benefit thing. In my view a full engine oil change is way easier than a full atf flush. Would I prefer a 100% atf swap? Absolutely. But given the hassle, if you get most of the benefit with just a drain & refill without expending that extra cost/effort, maybe it doesn't make sense for me. Key word, "for me". Hence my other post.

And FWIW I'm also the guy that's ok with using an engine oil filter for two OCI's. Sure it's not optimum, but sometimes I try to keep the OCD part of my brain from taking over. Sometimes good enough really is good enough.

And btw, if when one asks is just a drain and fill enough, if someone felt the answer was no way then it would be sweet the hear that over where the question was asked. No disrespect intended whatsoever, but seriously some of us are trying to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back