Engine getting noisier....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would change the oil now
and use 5w30 hm oil
and add some duralube insta- quiet
and in the future do not exceed 4,000 oci

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
In Florida in the summer I'd be using T6, I don't much care what the thin oil boys say. T6 is known to quiet down internals. What, BTW does your Hond amanual say for your climate?

Father Honda should have back-spec'd his engine to 0w-20, originally called for 5w-20. All climates. As a liquid cooled engine, it has its own climate and Honda keeps the oil temps around 180F. Going up a grade(or two) would be the wrong thing to do for the OP's short trips.

As the largest IC engine maker in the world, you would think they know better than an armchair mechanic, right? What will you and Merkava do when you see SAE16? What a world, what a world...

My engine is way louder when I have my hearing aids on, even louder when they are cranked up.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I've noticed over the past week, that my Accords engine is running louder than usual. No knocking or anything like that, when listening from the front of the car you hear the injectors, but when listening from the sides (wheel well area) there is more noise than it usually puts out, its a clattery more raspy sound than I am used too. I will also add, that this is the longest I have gone on an OCI. I am about to hit the 6 month marker, its been over 4100 miles so far as well. This is not long for many of you, but most of these miles are short hops to work, errands, etc. Could it be that the oil has sheared to the point of making the engine noise more pronounced? I am still planning on going the full 5K I was planning for. I will be doing a UOA when this OCI is up. The oil is M1 AFE 0w20, a great oil no doubt, but it does have a tendency to shear. Have any of you experienced more noise as you go further into your OCI?

You said" M1 0-20 has a tendency to shear". How so?

Originally Posted By: CT8
My engine is way louder when I have my hearing aids on, even louder when they are cranked up.

HAhahaha now thats funny !!!!!!!
laugh.gif

It seems the Honda K24 often tends to 'sink valves' a tad and thus close up valve clearance a bit too much=thus poor performance and burned valve possiblity. A nice quiet engine tho. With your miles, have valve clearances been checked/adjusted? I'd dump the oil and see what it does.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If the noise is coming from the side of the car, like from the wheel well, check for a bearing on an engine accessory going south (such as alternator, air conditioning compressor, etc).
+1 exactly what I'd do. It very well could be a bearing on an alternator or the tensioner, they can make some weird noises, you should hear my brother's Lexus, the alternator bearings are going and it's growling.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I've noticed over the past week, that my Accords engine is running louder than usual. No knocking or anything like that, when listening from the front of the car you hear the injectors, but when listening from the sides (wheel well area) there is more noise than it usually puts out, its a clattery more raspy sound than I am used too. I will also add, that this is the longest I have gone on an OCI. I am about to hit the 6 month marker, its been over 4100 miles so far as well. This is not long for many of you, but most of these miles are short hops to work, errands, etc. Could it be that the oil has sheared to the point of making the engine noise more pronounced? I am still planning on going the full 5K I was planning for. I will be doing a UOA when this OCI is up. The oil is M1 AFE 0w20, a great oil no doubt, but it does have a tendency to shear. Have any of you experienced more noise as you go further into your OCI?

Not to be too obvious, but have you checked the oil level? Aside from that I think it's too hard to make a guess from the description, could be lots of things or nothing

can one use smartphone decibel meter application to objectively measure the noise? that way hypochondriacs would know for sure

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Change it over to PYB 5W-30. You will magically have a quiet engine and I will gloat.
laugh.gif

Do you have any actual basis for your opinion that 0w-20 oil doesn't properly lubricate?

Thanks for the responses guys. The level is still at the full line, as it was 4000 miles ago when it was poured in. I am going to try and run it the full 5000 mile OCI I was planning on. If the TGMO 0w20 doesn't quiet things down, Pennzoil might be the next runner up. I have used it before but dont remember how it sounded. I was very close to adding a quart or two of M1 0w40 next OCI to thicken things up, but I just cant bring myself to mix oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back