Heater hoses (the quiet time bomb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was saving to replace my coolant hoses with samco silicone ones, in the meantime I kept a bottle of coolant and some lengths of hose in the car.

With New England rust I will never have to worry about this...

I did lose a coolant line, but it had been soaked in diesel fuel for who knows how long.

How many different sized lines are under the hood? My truck must have three or four at least.

I just helped a friend find a radiator hose leak on his Cavalier, and I had a pinhole leak on my OEM Dakota upper hose at less than 10 years/100K miles. I've seen multiple modern cars take a coolant dump in the parking lot at work.

Before that I've had numerous hoses go, but that was before EPDM, so maybe no longer relevant... but no, I'm not on board with the idea that factory hoses are a lifetime part. When I was young I took a cavalier attitude towards breakdowns, but I'm not so young and my wife is not so forgiving on that topic.

The last car I replaced heater hoses on was a 1980's vintage model. I don't see them as an issue on modern cars.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I just helped a friend find a radiator hose leak on his Cavalier

I helped a coworker with the metal output pipe on his 2.2 OHV sunfire. This seems to exist to twist the engine 90 degrees and sit longitudinally in a FWD configuration. I'm sure it rotted because he never changed his coolant. It was easy finding a dealer stocking the part.

But, this steel didn't last as long as the rubber hoses that connected to it.

Hello, Wouldn't it have been cool to coat the pipe with something modern so it lasted FOREVER.

The Belt Parkway breakdown story in this thread reminded me that I blew a lower hose in my 1976 Ford E-150 on 3rd Avenue and 45th St. 80 feet from a parts distributor.

Brooklyn rocks! Kira

The old heater hoses used to be thick and strong and came on a 50 foot roll, they lasted nearly forever. Now, many vehicles have molded heater hoses, some even in a molded Y or T configuration. These newer molded hoses are much thinner and don't last near as long as the older style hoses.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
The old heater hoses used to be thick and strong and came on a 50 foot roll, they lasted nearly forever. Now, many vehicles have molded heater hoses, some even in a molded Y or T configuration. These newer molded hoses are much thinner and don't last near as long as the older style hoses.

So you don't consider EPDM rubber in the newer hoses a postive factor in longevity?

Had a 76 Volvo throw an alternator belt (2 of em) on I-5. Took out a upper hose.

I limped and coasted to the next exit and snagged a new hose, 2 belts, and some antifreeze right before the store closed.

I ended up giving the car to a friend as I had too many cars. Miss it though.

OneEyedJack, I love Datsuns too, had a few 60's that had the cloth-covered hoses. As long you dont play with or squeeze the hoses too much, they generally last till the boneyard.

Remember the dual-pointed 510's? Mom sold her orange '72 wagon for $20 because no one could figure it out. (I was 5 or 6 yrs old)

She did have a retread blow up from excessive air. Even a 6 yr old knows better!
wink.gif

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back