Tires for 2006 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking the Grand Prix in to America's Tire on Monday to see about getting the cracking tires currently on it replaced under warranty/certificate (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3672117/Tire_cracking_bad_enough_to_be). If they will warranty them then I will have to figure out what to put on in their place. The car calls for 225/55R17 with a speed rating of H. This is mostly a commuter car that is driven pretty tamely on highways and streets here in Southern California with occasional spirited driving when the urge strikes (and I am not stuck in gridlock traffic). I am not looking for an ultra high performance tire but more along the lines of an all season that will ride nice and give me decent performance. Tire characteristics important to me are:

Most Important
Ride noise
Cornering/steering
Ride comfort
Dry traction

Less Important
Wet traction
Gas mileage (LRR)

Not Very Important
Tread life
Winter traction

Winter traction does not really need to be on the list as the car has never seen snow in the time that I have owned it and I do not see driving it in the snow without chains anyway. Tread life is also of very low importance to me as I put less than 15k miles on the car in a year and am not adverse to replace tires every three years if they will perform well during that entire time.

I have done some reading up and have found generally good reviews on the following tires, which are in stock locally (price is per-tire, includes certificate for replacement, and excludes installation costs):

Yokohama YK580 97V - $168.75
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 97H - $176.75
Michelin Premier A/S 97H - $194.00
Michelin Premier A/S 97V - $197.00

I would like to just get something in stock locally but could also order the following from America's Tire or Discount Tire Direct and have them installed at America's Tire later in the week (price calculations same as above):

Cooper CS3 Touring 97H - $130.50
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 97H - $137.25
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 97V - $150.75
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring 97V - $171.25
Continental PureContact 97V - $173.25
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All Season 97W - $176.75

If there are any other great tires I left out, feel free to chime in with those as well.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Look into Falken's ZIEX ZE950 A/S Tire:

http://www.falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/ziex-ze950/s-tire

A set of these will be going on my wife's car when the time comes.

Nope, no Falkens for me! The tires that will be coming off the Grand Prix are Falkens that have gone to poop after only 29,000 miles and two years, and the previous tires on the Burb were Falkens that broke a belt and developed a severe crack after on a few years and way before the tread was worn out.

Huh, no kidding. I didn't realize they had problems. I've seen these tires on a coworkers car and so far they have given great service.

Maybe more homework on my part is in order. Thanks for the info!

Do they sell Arizonians at Americas tire? I know its a discount tire exclusive but I think Americas Tire is the same, is it not? I loved those tires on my Integra and I've seen them on Grand Prix before. If they made them in the size for the Firebird or tC I'd happily get them again on one of those vehicles. It was the Silver Edition, specifically.

I'm generally not a "fanboy" for particular tires as I think there are many good ones ( beyond Michelin ) but as you describe your needs, you might want to look at the Cooper CS5 Ultra in whatever speed rating. A co-worker has these and I'm impressed not only by the tire but their lower cost. My understanding is the CS3 has a pretty soft sidewall and likely wouldn't meet the handling criteria. I'd never spend an additional $200 for a set of Michelins even if I had it to burn. They've never been worth it for me....

Continental ExtremeContact DWS is what I'm riding on (37 PSI all around). I read the DWS06 is suppose to have improved sidewalls too. In your size they're 140$ at TR. My second pick if I didn't get the DWS would have been the CS5 Ultra.

Last edited:
IMO, The YK580's are WAY too expensive for a private label exclusive tire.

The Premier is too expensive for 8.5/32. They'll probably release a "Premier Plus" version in a year or two with the full 10/232.

The Pilot Sport AS3 will probably last about the same amount of life.

If you want performance, the F1 Asymmetric AS seems like your best choice. The CS5 Ultra is supposed to be good, too.

My suggestions are
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS
Cooper CS5 Ultra

See if Americas Tire will match TireCrawler prices. Make sure you stress the fact that Tire Crawler gives free shipping if you use one of their authorized installers.

I have experience with both the CS5 Ultra and P7 Plus. Both have great dry traction and cornering capabilities. I think the CS5 is a tad quieter on most road surfaces.

http://tirecrawler.com/tire/cooper/cs5-ultra-touring/90000019374/

http://tirecrawler.com/tire/cooper/cs5-ultra-touring/90000020273/

http://tirecrawler.com/tire/pirelli/cinturato-p7-all-season-plus/2253600/

I'd like to vote for the Pirelli P7s (I put another 310 miles on them today), but after seeing that price, nope! I'd go for the Cooper CS5s or as stated before General Altimax RT43 but the only experience I have with the Generals is on my aunt's 1970 Beetle that I drive all the time and it handles like a grocery bag going down tbe highway but the Generals have really helped with that over the previous tires.

America's Tire has offered me a $30 credit per tire and to carry-over the certificates from the old tires to the new. That makes the Pirellis $620 out the door. Buying the Cooper CS5 from DTD and having them installed at America's Tire comes to $640. Both tires also have $60 mail-in-rebates, bringing my totals to $560 and $580, respectively.

If I can get DTD to price-match Tire Crawler (thanks, 3for3), then the DTD Coopers would come down to $592 before rebate and $532 after.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
America's Tire has offered me a $30 credit per tire and to carry-over the certificates from the old tires to the new. That makes the Pirellis $620 out the door. Buying the Cooper CS5 from DTD and having them installed at America's Tire comes to $640. Both tires also have $60 mail-in-rebates, bringing my totals to $560 and $580, respectively.

If I can get DTD to price-match Tire Crawler (thanks, 3for3), then the DTD Coopers would come down to $592 before rebate and $532 after.

You can ask your local Americas Tire to price match Tire Crawler so you don't have to deal with two transactions (Discount Tire Direct and Americas Tire, same company I know, but still two separate transactions).

Just call Americas Tire ask them to price match TC, and have them order the tires you want so their waiting for you when you're ready to have them installed. I always ask my local Discount Tire to match online retailers on lowest delivered price, and they have done it every time. Just make sure you tell them that TC offers free shipping to an authorized installer.

Either way make sure you have them installed at Americas Tire so you can get the $30 per tire credit and carry-over the certificates, on top of the other rebate/s.

You mentioned the Michelin Premier A/S in your original post. Here is a link to price shop against. http://tirecrawler.com/tire/michelin/premier-a-s/48163/

Originally Posted By: 3for3
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

You can ask your local Americas Tire to price match Tire Crawler so you don't have to deal with two transactions (Discount Tire Direct and Americas Tire, same company I know, but still two separate transactions).

Just call Americas Tire ask them to price match TC, and have them order the tires you want so their waiting for you when you're ready to have them installed. I always ask my local Discount Tire to match online retailers on lowest delivered price, and they have done it every time. Just make sure you tell them that TC offers free shipping to an authorized installer.

Either way make sure you have them installed at Americas Tire so you can get the $30 per tire credit and carry-over the certificates, on top of the other rebate/s.

You mentioned the Michelin Premier A/S in your original post. Here is a link to price shop against. http://tirecrawler.com/tire/michelin/premier-a-s/48163/

I will try that. Thanks again!

2007 Grand Prix GT here.

Original tires were Michelins on this car and they lasted 50k miles. Great tire.
Found a deal on Kuhmos next, also a great tire and they lasted 40k.
Currently have Continental ProContacts and these meet all of your "must have's" plus your less importants and not importants. I have 40k on the tires and probably have 5 or 6/32s remaining. Rotate once a year. Great traction in all conditions, quiet soft ride, great cornering; just an outstanding tire.
No question I would replace with Continentals when the time comes; if it ever comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back