What's going on here?? (strut mount) -Beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
The camber is adjusted by using camber bolts or by elongating the strut-to-knuckle mounting holes (on the strut side). It is impossible to affect camber by fussing with the strut mount.

The picture looks like some of the rubber was torn off the strut mount during the install process? As long as the strut is still being held in place I wouldn't worry about it.

It may affect some of the vibration dampening but that is about it. And I really doubt that this is the cause of your issue.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Drew -- can't you see the slotted out area in the strut mount in the first picture? Compare that to the second picture. It's obvious that the guy elongated the large center hole in the top strut mount to allow for the strut rod to move around to set alignment. I doubt that's the factory recommended procedure.

Go armchair mechanic somewhere else Merk.

The problem is a poorly made, defective mount plain and simple. It had nothing to do with installation or alignment.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Drew -- can't you see the slotted out area in the strut mount in the first picture? Compare that to the second picture. It's obvious that the guy elongated the large center hole in the top strut mount to allow for the strut rod to move around to set alignment. I doubt that's the factory recommended procedure.

That's just rubber, and if you look closer you will see the 4 molded in marks. It is not cut, nor is it ground. It is only deformed. Changing this area would not affect alignment.

If the top spring plate, and strut mount are not properly clocked together you will get a pull and binding. I suggest the mechanic did not assemble the strut correctly.

UPDATE:
Yesterday I had to get the REAR struts replaced, as they also reached the end of their life and seized/froze/died.
Was done by an indie shop, and NOT the same mechanic who did the front struts -
(Went with sensen again, $27 each at Rockauto)

THIS mechanic (much more talented and professional) looked at the strut mount which is the topic of this thread and said the mount is failing - either I got a bad mount OR other mechanic didn't align stuff correctly, like some of you guys also suspected. He and I are both leaning towards the latter.
smirk.gif

I ordered a new strut mount (Sensen, for $12 on Rockauto closeout- previous ones were Mevotech) to replace the mount pictured in opening post.

I just hope that there's no damage to the strut itself.

Thanks for all comments. Will update when new mount is installed.

(I am lucky aftermarket suspension parts are so affordable for this car...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back