Craftsman Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
Tried prying out an axle nut pin. It didn't hold up.

BQAXSwW.jpg

That is a small screwdriver to be prying with, no wonder it broke!

I always use the larger screwdrivers to pry, preferably the hexagonal shaped shank screwdrivers.

The way I pry is once the tool is wedged in, instead of pulling, I twist the handle, this way should anything break, it would be the driver tip, and that can be reground on a belt grinder.

Cotter pins used to secure wheel hubs on cars and light trucks are big enough that removing them can be somewhat difficult. I always straightened them as best I could and then tapped them out of the spindle with a soft faced hammer. And I never reused them. Can't remember when I last worked on anything that used a cotter pin.

Craftsman tools used to be made with pride in western MA, now they're made in China...probably in a factory that looks like this. Sears still charges the same for them, though...

I have a set of those screwdrivers with that particular one bent. They are made in USA.

Using side cutters to grab (not cut) the cotter pin is the best way to remove them.

That looks like a Craftsman Professional. They will exchange it no problems. But the salesman will know you used it for something else. I worked in tools at Sears and once took back some wrenches that were broken and the guy said he worked on go-carts.

The annoyance is when people bring in a bucket of stuff that you know came from a yard sale where he paid $2.00 for the bucket full. And you have to replace everything.

The unfortunates get a China Craftsman for a broken USA one.

It is a craftsman professional, made in the usa. I dont believe I will warranty it for moral reasons, plus i have 4 others from HF which I probably should have sacrificed first. I bought it in a set for around $30 and they work okay. The handle feels good but i'm a hobbyist and do not know the difference between craftsman professional versus other USA brands, but what i've read they are middle of the road.

Last edited:
That is where you should have used Harbor Freight. If it had broken and then you had posted this, every single person would have immediately commented how lousy HF screw drivers are. You can bet your paycheck that the guys who gave a pass to Craftsman Professional would have immediately condemned Harbor Freight. Nobody would have mentioned anything about pry bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back