How many sockets would you need....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flip socket implies at least one extension from the gun to the socket. Every extension cuts down on the available impact force. So you will need a bigger gun than if you have straight impact socket set. Something to keep in mind if you don't have good air gun or have battery operated impact.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
You only need one socket if you don't want to carry a bunch around:
http://www.endeavorproductsusa.com/gator-grip-1.25-.html

It'll do a lot of wheel locks, too. The drawback is some alloy wheels have wells that are too small to fit the whole thing but most wheels with a center cap or hub cap steelies it works great on.

These seem like a good last resort, but wouldn't they chew up lugs?

Originally Posted By: Kira
You're lucky. My friend's daughter married a dippy-doo, toy coveting, ego damaged man. Worthless.
Get a flat? Call dad-in-law. Child. Kira

My GF is dating a guy just like that!
whistle.gif

I have the lug nut size listed on "cliff notes" I keep in the garage for all my vehicles. The sizes are 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, and 13/16".

Quote:
My GF is dating a guy just like that!
You *allow* your girlfriend to date? Don't you have a kitchen? :)

I carry a 3/4" pipe about 2 foot long to slip over those short factory lug wrenches that come with the cars. A cheater works wonders to break loose the rusty/overtightened nuts
smile.gif

Last edited:
a 1/2" size torque wrench allowing you to torque to 100 lb-ft for normal stuff, and up to 140 lb-ft for heavy duty like 3/4 and 1-ton trucks having larger lugs.

Deep well 1/2" sockets sized: 3/4", 13/16", 7/8", and 19, 21, 22 millimeter.
and not more than two 1/2" extensions of appropriate length, maybe 1.5" and 3" long, don't think you'd ever need longer than 4.5" extension. and better to have a dedicated 1/2" ratchet with a piece of ~16" black pipe that fits over the handle for removing lugs, don't want to use a torque wrench for that.
It's said impact sockets are softer which prevents them for breaking when using an impact gun, but it results (or can result) in inaccurate torque readings when tightening. how true that is and if it matters for lugnut tq accuracy around 100 lb-ft i don't know.

The answer to the OP's question is actually quite simple: "one more than you have with you!"

(That IS how it usually works...............)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back