quick question about grass seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the grass bust out of the seed like a baby chicken coming out of an egg, or does the seed dissolve into the soil first?

The seed sends out a root first, then usually within a day after that it starts its top growth (the blade). I would suggest taking a clear cup and filling it with dirt then sprinkling in a few seeds. Place it inside next to a window and add a very small amount of water every day for ten to twelve days.

OK -- if the seed sends out a root first, that would mean it's not gonna move when I spray it with the hose, correct? So all the seeds I got out there that are still rolling around, they haven't spouted roots yet, correct?

First, what type of grass? I am VERY familiar with fescue but not so much with others. And remember the only thing you want to do right now is get the seed wet, drowning seed is not what you want to do. Most seeds must get wet and then dry out multiple times before germinating.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
OK -- if the seed sends out a root first, that would mean it's not gonna move when I spray it with the hose, correct? So all the seeds I got out there that are still rolling around, they haven't spouted roots yet, correct?

Don't spray seed with a hose. Cover the seed with a layer of dirt and sprinkle it from above.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Don't spray seed with a hose. Cover the seed with a layer of dirt and sprinkle it from above.

Or straw. It will retain moisture and prevent erosion too.

To answer Merk's question, I believe a root drills down out of the seed while the spud pushes up. It takes quite a while to anchor down though.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

This. Plus the underlying soil needs to be prepared properly. IF its a rock hard layer of clay, it won't take root either. Need to aerate/ loosen the soil, i like to till or aerate in he fertilizer and lime. Put out the seed/ wet the ground and drive my lawn mower over it a few times. A bare spot, you need to cover the seed with a layer of dirt as pop suggests.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Your not thinking about starting a pot farm are you?
The pot growers up here carry wads of hundred dollar bills.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Trav
Your not thinking about starting a pot farm are you?
The pot growers up here carry wads of hundred dollar bills.

They have to. Being federally insured, most banks probably won't do business with pot farmers.

Alright here's the whole story guys:

Back on November 03, I seeded the front yard with perennial rye grass seed. I had my first visible green sprouts within 48 hours. The grass was practically jumping out of the ground. Now I have a lush green lawn in the front yard.

Fast forward to March 09, I seeded the backyard with perennial rye grass seed from the same 50 pound bag I used in November. But this time, it's taking forever to sprout and I'm getting only about 50 percent germination. Monday will be March 23 and will be the two weeks point. I'm wondering how much more germination I'll get before April 09, which will be the full 30 days point.

Germination rate drops as the seeds age... Even after one year. It helps if they were stored in a cool, dry place.

OK -- what I did this afternoon is get down on my knees and take a closer look. Upon closer expamintion, it was just as Barkleymut described: some seeds were anchored to the soil with a root coming out the bottom, and some seeds were anchored to the soil plus an additional green flag shooting out the top. And of course, some seeds were still laying there with no roots coming out yet.

I've been spraying down the seeds about 5 times a day. Keeping the soil damp without drowning them. It still seems as though I got faster germination last November than I am now. Whatever spots that don't germinate, I'll just seed them again in the last week of October or the first week of November.

Kestas -- I kept the bag of seeds in a spare bedroom inside the house all through the Winter. The temperature was about 72*F the whole time.

Thanks guys for all your help!
55.gif

:p lawns are one area where I actually AM an expert!

Temperature is the reason it took longer for germination this time. Warmer =quicker germination.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
:p lawns are one area where I actually AM an expert!

Temperature is the reason it took longer for germination this time. Warmer =quicker germination.

Good answer(s).

I grow things also. I learned long ago not to ever consider myself an expert because mother nature will swoop down to kick you in the arse, whether it be a new insect, disease, or whatever.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back