Good or bad-clean air filter with compressed air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on dlundblad's wavelength.
Little particles are deeply embedded in the media. Likely you can't get 'em out.
The housings today have a zone where the air velocity drops. Larger dirt precipitates. That's why filters today don't look as dirty.
Opening the housing to blow off that one pine needle or poor grasshopper that got up that far THEN put it back??? NAH! Go for a new element. Kira

Blowing and banging filters to save money has ruined some very expensive engines.

Its your money.

Have always cleaned air filters with compressed air, it works fine if you don't go crazy and use too much air pressure. Used to work on mining vehicles, mainly Toyota Landcruisers and the like, which clogged their filters regularly due to the extremely dusty conditions - you're not going to throw a brand new filter in there every few weeks. With a little common sense, it's fine.

One of the nice uses for those cans of air you can buy at Wally World or office stores. Pressure is not high enough to harm media but will clean out between pleats pretty good.

Blowing from the inside is like taking a traffic jam and pushing the front cars back through the rest to clear up the street, or push something back through a maze. It will probably damage the paper.

Pulling it out to "tap" is also damages the seals and glue.

Changing too early is also bad, as the filter is better as it ages/fills.

The best thing is a simple restriction minder.

There is a study published by the US gov't that shows that mileage is not affected by filter clogging in fuel injected car, although at some point (around 25" of restriction) the power is reduced at WOT.

If I am going to take the time to take apart the glovebox in my toyota to get the cabin filter out of there, I will put a new one in.

I think the last one was seven dollars.

Same deal with air filters. I buy one yearly for nine bucks and replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back