Tire cracking bad enough to be of concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While changing the oil on the Grand Prix last weekend I noticed some cracking at the base of the outer tread blocks. It looks to me to be more than cosmetic cracking and I am wondering if it is bad enough to take them back to America's Tire to try to get them replaced under warranty or the certificates. These tires have been on the car for 26 months and 29,000 miles. The car is always parked outdoors but they have been kept properly inflated and rotated every 5,000 to 7,500 miles, I have not used any chemicals or tire dressing on them, and I do not drive aggressively.

If anyone cares, the tires are Falken Azenis PT-722 in 225/55R17 97V and they are the last Falkens I will even consider buying. They have gotten pretty loud and the ride is harsh.

Closeup of one of the worst cracks:
PART951426898409516952015032095173927_zpsdbthmmcf.jpg

Closeup of some more:
PART_1426897413521_20150320_172007_zpsobtlmiyv.jpg

Some more:
79ac1e77-8dd4-4a92-b316-1c68fbeb7353_zps07sfb1ya.jpg

You could go and ask what they'd do for you. You could always say no.

I wish folks would throw a penny or tape measure in these kinds of pictures for scale. Macro photography makes all sorts of stuff look creepy.

I'd keep running those tires, but thanks for sharing. 2 years is a short time to look that ugly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I wish folks would throw a penny or tape measure in these kinds of pictures for scale. Macro photography makes all sorts of stuff look creepy.

Here's your buddy Abe for some scale. (Sorry about the poorer quality.) Also, the gap between the tread blocks is about 6/32 inch. I can easily stick my fingernail in the crack.

2015-03-20%2019.06.46_zpsmf7il0xg.jpg

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I wonder if they sold you old tires. Get the date codes off them.

The 10 year old BFGs on my TA look like that.

I'd complain.

Not old. Date code 4512.

Before I treated them with Sunflower oil (speculative, experimental, possibly dangerous, don't do it) mine didn't look quite as bad as that and they were 8 years old Bridgestones that had always been parked outside in the unusually harsh environment of Southern Taiwan.

I'd say you've got a legitimate beef, though satisfaction might depend on the terms of your warranty

America's Tire will replace them under warranty for you. I've had them do it to my grandmothers Trailblazer where they replaced them under warranty, and the last set on it was replaced prorated so it was only $350 for $900 worth of tires.

I had some Yoko avid touring tires that did that. I bought them in Washington state, and lived in San diego for a few years. In Cali is when they really went to heck.

Discount said they were A OK. Translation.....we don't want to comp them....... I got rid of them at about 50% tread...... Mine were worse on the actual sidewall.

I can't believe those tires are only 2 years old. Even if the car sat out in the sun all day they shouldn't look that bad.

I'll take them in on Monday and see what America's Tire will do for me. If they will warranty them, then I think I will have them slap on a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Michelin Defender, or Michelin Premier A/S. Any preference between those three? Mostly interested in a quiet and comfortable ride with dry traction, cornering/steering, wet traction, winter traction, and tread life following in that order of importance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I'll take them in on Monday and see what America's Tire will do for me. If they will warranty them, then I think I will have them slap on a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Michelin Defender, or Michelin Premier A/S. Any preference between those three? Mostly interested in a quiet and comfortable ride with dry traction, cornering/steering, wet traction, winter traction, and tread life following in that order of importance.
Definately go for the Pirelli's. (I have them on my car) The Michelins will just crack again. Both sets were Michelins on my grandmother's Trailblazer, both were very cracked. It has Continentals now. My car had Michelins that drycracked too and were replaced in December.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Definately go for the Pirelli's. (I have them on my car) The Michelins will just crack again. Both sets were Michelins on my grandmother's Trailblazer, both were very cracked. It has Continentals now. My car had Michelins that drycracked too and were replaced in December.

The Pirellis are my first choice. Not because I do not want Michelins (I put a set on the Burb a few months back and I love them so far) but because they were the highest rated tires for my car on Tirerack. I would have considered General AltiMAX RT43 or Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring if they were carried by and in stock at a local America's Tire. Discount Tire Direct carries both of those but I do not want to wait for shipping.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
You bought a cheap Chinese tire and it cracked. I'm shocked.

CAT-SHOCKED.jpeg

I only buy made in USA tires (normally by a US based company) and I don't have these problems.

Actually, it is a Thai manufactured tire made by Sumitomo, an American company.

They are not top-of-the-line, but at the time I was looking for something affordable but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. But I think I got pretty close to the bottom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back