Switching to synthetic after 170K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the camp of "leave well enough alone". If it ran great with dino, why the switch?

I personally would not run syn in a car that has high miles and/or age on it if it was on a dino diet all of its life...

That said, I think you will be fine... just keep an eye on it.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: jacky
i switched to sythetic at 100.000 and it caused all kinds of leaks
i now use hm dino
i will never again put sythetic in a car over 5 years old
i try to avoid syn blend also
Is it April First yet?

For real

My fiancee bought a 1994 Cavalier last summer with 58,000 miles on it. She drove it 3,000 miles on the oil that was in it because it looked pretty clean but we had no idea what kind it was.

I changed the oil for her with 5W-30 TropArtic blend. When I went to change it, the underside of the car was completely dry with no oil showing anywhere.

I just did another oil change on it after about 6,000 miles of running the TropArtic and the bottom of the car is soaked in oil as well as the hood liner where oil has been thrown from the front crank area(2.2L 4 cyl.) Car also only had 1.5 qrts left in it out of the original five.

I don't know if the TropArtic cleaned out something but now the car leaks like crazy. I did put TropArtic back in it since that is all I had at the time but next time a high mileage oil is going in to try and slow down the leaks. Probably won't work but its a cheap try.

I truly believe that some oils can cause leaks where none existed before because of this car and others that I have owned in the past.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back