Stihl FS94R is almost the perfect trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very old Stihl FS88 trimmer I've had for 18+ years but I wanted to get another 2 stroke trimmer to add to my collection. I went to my Stihl dealer and walked out with the FS94R and a 6 pack of Stihl Ultra oil.

I went home and started trimming up some broomsage and blackberry brambles growing in the ditch by my house. After I ran out of trimmer line, I spun on a Speed Feed 450 head and went back to trimming for a total of 2 hours.

The Speed Feed head makes this trimmer just about perfect in my opinion. It's so lightweight and I felt absolutely no vibration in my hands. It also has plenty of grunt for cutting tall grasses and weeds.

I definitely think it's worth the money if you want a very light weight commercial grade 2 stroke trimmer with a solid driveshaft. The downside is that it's $350.

Obligatory photos:

Info from the manual about engine specs:

Very minimal smell with the Stihl Ultra @ 50:1. It also sips the fuel. It's the most fuel efficient trimmer I've ever had by far.

IMO they make a great trimmer. I've got 2 FS 85's that I got free about 8 yrs ago as non-running. I put a new carb on one and a new coil/plug wire on the other and they've worked great ever since. If they ever give out I would spend the dough for a new one but at the rate they're going they may outlast me.

Originally Posted By: Mud
IMO they make a great trimmer. I've got 2 FS 85's that I got free about 8 yrs ago as non-running. I put a new carb on one and a new coil/plug wire on the other and they've worked great ever since. If they ever give out I would spend the dough for a new one but at the rate they're going they may outlast me.

I still wish Stihl made the FS85. Many landscapers around here still run them so that shows you how tough they are.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I see they've gone to NGKs.

I hope that's a good thing but I've never had problems with champion plugs.

I thought Bosch was their go-to?

+1 it was my saw and trimmer both had Bosch.

Yup, just checked my manual. The FS90 i bought about two years ago uses a Bosch. I thought most all engines of Euro descent used those.

If I'm not badly mistaken this is a Redmax designed Stratocharged engine.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Yup, just checked my manual. The FS90 i bought about two years ago uses a Bosch. I thought most all engines of Euro descent used those.

If I'm not badly mistaken this is a Redmax designed Stratocharged engine.

It wouldn't be a redmax designed engine. It might have a designe that is similar but it would be a Stihl design. I think they must have found the strato charged is working better and cheaper than the four mix.

Stihl has always speced a Bosch plug and an ngk plug in the past. That number looks like the ngk they speced before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back