Royal Purple first time buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was at Wal Mart today for some marine gear oil and noticed Royal Purple 0W20 five quart jugs clearanced for 21.00. Regularly 37.00. I bought 2 of them. Never used it before but for that price I figured I'd try it out. Going in the Corolla soon and maybe the Tundra.

Cool, let us know how you like it. There's nothing wrong with RP, I just never felt like the price was justified for a regular daily driver.

The problem with RP is that it is normally priced at $37 for a jug at Wally World when equally as good oil (M1 EP for instance) is over $10 cheaper.

But for $21, go for it!

There were three left. I should have grabbed them all. The 10W30's were still 37.00.

Originally Posted By: stcif
There were three left. I should have grabbed them all. The 10W30's were still 37.00.

Weird... tons of cars now use 0w20... and almost zero cars spec 10w30... you'd think the 10w30 would be on clearance.

they were clearanced near me to 30$

m1 ep still cheaper = no go

2015-03-09%2019.11.46.jpg

Last edited:
Quaker State yesterday was $21.97 for a 5 quart bottle. If Royal Purple was at that price, I'd try it. But at $37.00, them Royal Purple dudes can keep it.

I cleaned the shelf at a WalMart near Madison last weekend ($5/Qt)and found a half dozen more today at the local WM for $3/qt. Enough for 3 oil changes in my Tacoma.
I wondered if there was some kind of recall - why's all the Royal Purple on sale?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: window
I cleaned the shelf at a WalMart near Madison last weekend ($5/Qt)and found a half dozen more today at the local WM for $3/qt. Enough for 3 oil changes in my Tacoma.
I wondered if there was some kind of recall - why's all the Royal Purple on sale?

Since Walmart already stocks Synpower, to stock RP as well is redundant.

RP is a really good product.. But I noticed A LOT of valve train noise in my car after sitting for like 12 hrs or more. Went away pretty quick but never heard that before or since. I certainly would not tell someone not to run RP in their cars or trucks. Not my place
smile.gif
RP makes good oil. But their SM formulation had better VOA than the newest SN. TBN was over 11 in SM and less than 8.5 in the SN .. Still solid but a decent drop off. Surprised me a good bit when I saw that. Now their oil filters are awesome. Expensive but you get what you pay for. Awesomenes .

I saw this.
If I needed oil for the old BMW, I might have snagged some, but the price was a little rich considering the amount of forty grade and even some fifty grade I have on hand.

I do agree from ultra filter on my car now.. And the ultra is a great product upgrade. But I've used the regular orange can MANY times with zero problems.. But the ultra is a real good high quality option.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Weird... tons of cars now use 0w20... and almost zero cars spec 10w30... you'd think the 10w30 would be on clearance.

That is strange. I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but here, Canadian Tire discontinued almost all of their 10w-30 synthetics some time ago.

Yet on the HDEO side of the aisle, 5, 10, and now 15W 30s and 40's are just building up steam. I wouldn't call 10W-30 obsolete just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back