Lowest NOACK 30/40 wt oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from a Mobil blending guide, it gives a trend for what/why NOACK trends exist...it's for their PAOs, but gives the gist.
Mobil%20Viscosity%20Mix.jpg

I'd take a 5W30 over a 0W30/40 if you don't need the cold end ultimate performance.

For sure, even 10w-30 is ok since I don't run the vert in the cold.

But doubt there are many A3 10w-30 oils holding other relevant specs.

I thought that blending chart was privy.
Is the "VM" additive the VII?
If so, we can clearly see the treatment rates
of the various grades.
The additive is more expensive than the base oil.
Therefore, the higher VII treatment rate, the higher
the cost of the lubricant.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
F(xx) or E(xx) car?

M1, Dealer oil(Shell GTL), Red line, and Amsoil.

2011 135i Cv M-sport 6MT N55

Dealer oil is now Shell GTL? Thought it was Castrol?

I only put a few thousand miles on the car a year in reality, and only nice weather.

It will sit for a month or two at a time in some cases. No salt allowed.

Im not afraid of two year OCIs, I do them in my saab with M1 0w-40 all the time. But if I can improve on M1 I will for the DI use.

Have we figured out the real value of PU 5w-40 these days? Is Amazon the only source?

BMW switched to Shell effective Jan '15.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I thought that blending chart was privy.
Is the "VM" additive the VII?
If so, we can clearly see the treatment rates
of the various grades.
The additive is more expensive than the base oil.
Therefore, the higher VII treatment rate, the higher
the cost of the lubricant.

Its a guideline. We know it isn't relative to their current grades for example based on the fact that M1 0w-40's NOACK is much lower (8.8%) than what the chart shows for a "typical" 0w-40 blended via that guide
wink.gif
Oh, and its MRV is higher.

As OVERKILL said, blending guide...would help customers with working up a budget price, using XOM and Infineum ingredients, not a M1 recipe book.

Not in my experience. Tried two different AAP's during a PP sale and they told me Ultra wasn't included.
Originally Posted By: drtyler
When Advance Auto Parts has a Pennzoil Platinum special, the Ultra Euro 5w40 is included.

F(xx) or E(xx) car?

I only put a few thousand miles on the car a year in reality, and only nice weather.

Im not afraid of two year OCIs, I do them in my saab with M1 0w-40 all the time. But if I can improve on M1 I will for the DI use.

Have we figured out the real value of PU 5w-40 these days? Is Amazon the only source?

Have them ring it up and see. Mine said the same thing, then the computer proved them wrong.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Not in my experience. Tried two different AAP's during a PP sale and they told me Ultra wasn't included.
When Advance Auto Parts has a Pennzoil Platinum special, the Ultra Euro 5w40 is included.

F(xx) or E(xx) car?

Have them ring it up and see. Mine said the same thing, then the computer proved them wrong.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Fyi AAP has a $32.99 special for 5 qts of PP and a fram ultra filter. The 5w-40 is definitely included because I own five qts now.

The store I was at (Middletown, DE, nice new store, good employees) had five PP 5w-40 and five older ultra 5w-40 in stock. I just took the new stuff.

I'm a fram ultra fan but they didn't have one for the 135i or the 08 VW. They offered to swap the ultra for a Mann or a regular fram as long as it was below $16.99. The Mann filters were all hecho en Mexico, while the fram 9911 for the 08 VW was an jnteresting and slightly different design than I've seen, and was US made, so that's what I took.

I dont know that I'd jump on the M1 0W40 bandwagon on this one. I ran liquimoly 5w40 religiously up until a year ago and decided to try m1 0w40 for a year. The OCI's came out OK, but the car (Audi 4.2 V8) just burned through the mobil 1. I dont know if I'd make that the biggest factor in your oil selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back