Dairy pr oduct users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. I have had this on my mind today. How many of you folks like dairy as in milk, eggs, buttermilk, butter, cheese? My father is lactose intolerant; luckily me and my brother are not. Growing up on a farm, I loved and still do love buttermilk, and whole milk. Call me crazy, but there is a small dairy near me or about 3 miles away that I get my 2% milk and buttermilk delivered. They have good brown eggs also. I dont eat much in the way of eggs as I have lost over 60lbs since last fall and working on losing more. Thats why I wanted the juicer. Anyways, thought I would share the dairy thing with you guys. Any stories and thoughts are welcome.

p.s. I know that buttermilk is NOT good for you, but I have a 8oz. glass every morning even weekends :)

Why is buttermilk bad for you? I like the stuff a lot. I don't have it around much, but I thought that it was like yogurt - a probiotic of sorts.

I am also a cheese-a-holic!

I love cheese and yogurt. Can't stand that thin, watery, store-bought buttermilk, but homemade is great. I stay away from drinking plain milk, other than a splash of it in my coffee or tea.

hotwheels

DBMaster, if you listen to my stepmom, mom and others, its very rich or i.e. in fat or butterfat %. Yes it is a great probiotic also, and I like a dash of real hot sauce and some black pepper in mine
smile.gif
. There is a little deli near the farm that sells their own homemade cheese and I currently love their "3 pepper co jack" and "horsey head horseradish" cheese.

Hotwheels, the local farm near me; their buttermilk is very thick which I like. Love all their milk's also. There is a dairy bout 45 miles northwest of me that still sells fresh, cold raw milk also if you like that instead
smile.gif
Heavens, my parents grew up drinking raw milk, so go figure

Cheese is my weakness. My favorites, Cambozola, Brie, Stilton, and I recently found on by the name of Blue Roth.

I remember back in the early 80s well before I was 10 years old, I had a relative that was probably in his 70s that used to drink buttermilk and eat cornbread with it and I used to be right there with him doing that whenever I was around him.

Ever since he passed away (which also occurred before I was 10), I never touched buttermilk again until I was in my early 30s and started baking cornbread.

Buttermilk has too much sodium.

8oz. skim milk w 4 oz egg whites, 1/3 tsp vanilla, touch of cinnamon, 1 1/2 packs splenda....22 gm protein.

1 cup low fat plain greek yougert...22 gm protein.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I like stinky French cheese.

Limburger sandwhich...onion, limburger, pepper, mustard. Can't be beat. Oh year beer mandatory.

Originally Posted By: car51
yeah, but AL is correct it does have a high sodium count to begin with.

And yet, with a well-balanced diet, a cup or glass of buttermilk should not push you over the edge.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: tom slick
What part of a dairy do eggs come from?

They fall out of a chook's cloaca or posterior opening, which is really worse than something coming out af an udder. Not sure why some folks consider eggs a dairy product. Maybe because of the proximity of eggs and dairy at the market? Tomatoes and corn get wrongly lumped in with veg.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: car51
yeah, but AL is correct it does have a high sodium count to begin with.

And yet, with a well-balanced diet, a cup or glass of buttermilk should not push you over the edge.

hotwheels

I agree. If you are cognizant of your sodium...everything in moderation. I have a particular issue with salt and blood pressure. You can really help negate the sodium issue by eatinn fruits (high in potassium) I try to get as much potassiujm as sodium if not more.

Can't have sodium here ... well, I have to watch it. And apparently dairy is bad for cholesterol? Which I already have high.

I DO love Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back