Reliable car for Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Looking for a car for my son. A HS student with no job. He has $3000 to spend on it and $1000 emergency reserve.
I have been looking at under 100K GM's with the 3.8 (1997-2002)

I have seen a few 2001 Volvo S-40's. I would love opinions?
My real question is about Saab. With them pulling out of the US it seems I can get a 80K 2003
Are any of them would considering ? (Reliable )

Thanks

Stick with GM in this case. Hopefully you can find something non desirable to the masses Buick xxxxx in beige that was well taken care of.

What does he want? Does he care or is he just looking for a set of wheels to get around in?

i dont know of any high school student who would want a volvo or saab
remember at that age looking "cool" means everything
even the color makes a huge difference also most people that age hate 4 doors cars and a top of the line sound system is a must
and the type of car you have sometimes help attract women

You ask about GM and then Saab. They are the same car at a certain point as GM/Opel made them late in life.

A beater around $2000 is probably the best option. Something higher miles. Civic or Corolla? Or one of those 3.8's with REALLY high miles and other rough spots.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
A beater around $2000 is probably the best option. Something higher miles. Civic or Corolla? Or one of those 3.8's with REALLY high miles and other rough spots.

Yes.

My Volvo loving buddy's 1999 S40 was the worst Volvo he ever owned, every year it threw codes or wore something major out. It's the only Volvo he retired short of 300K miles it only made it a little over 200K, but he paid dearly for that. I can't in good conscience recommend it.

you should buy him a 2015 model as a graduation present
be a cool dad, let him keep his money

I've occasionally seen Echo's around here with a little over 100k miles on them for 3k. certainly a corolla is nicer but I have not price shopped those

Find a 4 cylinder Honda or Toyota with the proviso that he leans how to change the oil, check the tire pressures and other very basic routine maintenance tasks. Hook up with a local independent shop that specializes in the car, a shop that is clean and neat and been in business for a few years, one with references. Get him introduced to the people there and let them help advise him with your oversight on how to take care of his first car. Pay them to check your final choice before the purchase. Getting a good start with all this is a must because vehicle ownership and operation is not difficult but expensive and troublesome if ignored.

About SAAB and Volvo? There's too much risk involved and some potentially expensive surprises to be had.

That first car should be basic transportation for a whole lot of reasons.

Originally Posted By: jacky
the type of car you have sometimes help attract women

the wrong type of women, yes.

the right women? I guess it depends what type is right for you.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Hi guys. Looking for a car for my son. A HS student with no job. He has $3000 to spend on it and $1000 emergency reserve.
I have been looking at under 100K GM's with the 3.8 (1997-2002)

I have seen a few 2001 Volvo S-40's. I would love opinions?
My real question is about Saab. With them pulling out of the US it seems I can get a 80K 2003
Are any of them would considering ? (Reliable )

Thanks

GM 3.8 would be perfect!

Tell him to get a job and buy the car he wants; you'll thank me in 10 years for doing that. The quicker he learns that the world (or his parents) don't' owe him a dime, the quicker he'll get a thorn up his butt and start working hard.

A Volvo or Saab for 3 grand, and reliable?
crackmeup2.gif

89-95 Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim 2.5/auto.That would keep him out of trouble....

GM is probably going to be the least expensive and easiest/cheapest to repair. Something with minimal electronics will keep the head scratching and repair cost to a minimum as the average shadetree mechanic can fix just about anything on them that isn't electronic.

if you get him a car he doesnt like he might hand you the keys and say thanks but no thanks, i really think you are not taking his opinion into consideration

Among your list I like the GM stuff. Don't overlook the W-body like the olds intrigue. Everyone thinks Lesabres are all there are.

Also consider a Volvo 940, they made them into the mid to late 90s. Great sight lines and RWD handling.

I'm in the crowd of Japanese cars.

Try looking for an used Corolla or Civic (not beige pleaaaaaseeeee)

If it is his first car let him decide but he pays for it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back