Anyone else got MoS2 in their p/steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read before on another forum that someone fixed their worn, dying power steering pump by adding MoS2 and that was the only thing they found besides replacement that got good results.
I had about 1/4 bottle of MoS2 left in the garage along with a half bottle of Rislone p/steering fluid + stop leak. I syringed as much of the old stuff out the pump as I could (only about 300ml) and replaced with the 1/4 bottle of MoS2 and topped up to full with the Rislone. I am hoping it will fix the small p/s leak as well like it did my engine with it's plating effect.
I idled the car for about 5 minutes for the pump to mix it up and I went to turn the wheel and it was already much smoother! It is normally very stiff for the first 10 minutes when cold and when it's at full temp it's nice and easy but has a shudder.
So far no more stiffness or shudder!
I will see how it goes after my 30 minute commute to work in a couple hours and report back.
Can anyone think of any cons of using it in the p/s?
Thanks

Personally the only thing that I would put in my P/S system is P/S fluid, and the approved spec at that. Best of luck to you though!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Personally the only thing that I would put in my P/S system is P/S fluid, and the approved spec at that. Best of luck to you though!

You do right but I'm interested and curious!
I've seen it done a couple times elsewhere with good results but I thought I'd get some BITOGers opinions. Anyway for the sake of an experiment at least it's being done in an old Ford! :p

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

I don't. If there's a problem, rather than hope that something in a can will fix it, I simply fix it right the first time.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I don't. If there's a problem, rather than hope that something in a can will fix it, I simply fix it right the first time.

Depends what it is, if a $3 shot of MoS2 works for me then it saves me forking out $200 for replacing the rack/pump on a car only worth $1000. If it doesn't work I'll just carry on with a stiffer than normal steering wheel when I pull out the drive in a morning and an intermittent shudder in car parks, but so far so good.

Both the LM MoS2 and rislone use engine oil as their carrier. The seals could possibly get damaged, i would flush it thoroughly.
I would have used lubeguards PS additive if anything, its made for these systems.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Both the LM MoS2 and rislone use engine oil as their carrier. The seals could possibly get damaged, i would flush it thoroughly.
I would have used lubeguards PS additive if anything, its made for these systems.

What do you mean by engine oil? I know MoS2 uses just plain Jane dino as the carrier but Rislone again is just mineral oil with a small add pack like pretty much all non synthetic power steering fluids only it has extra seal conditioners to stop leaks. The Rislone is as clear as water and very thin (thinner than xW10 engine oils I've seen) and most of the other p/s fluids I've seen are red or golden.
But I'll look up the Lubeguard stuff incase this stuff doesn't work
smile.gif

From everything i have read about seals and comparability thats just my opinion, notice i said possibly. I have no idea what sort of add pack if any is used in the carries by these products.
I guess i am just cautious of using fluids, i have seen to many damaged and leaking parts from using the wrong ones.

If your comfortable using it then go ahead.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

What do you mean by engine oil? I know MoS2 uses just plain Jane dino as the carrier but Rislone again is just mineral oil with a small add pack like pretty much all non synthetic power steering fluids only it has extra seal conditioners to stop leaks. The Rislone is as clear as water and very thin (thinner than xW10 engine oils I've seen) and most of the other p/s fluids I've seen are red or golden.
But I'll look up the Lubeguard stuff incase this stuff doesn't work
smile.gif

It's not the Rislone PS fluid I'd be concerned with attacking the seals, its the LM product. It uses Dino oil as a carrier which could ruin the PS seals. It could take a while so you might not know for a while. Flushing the moly out might be a difficult task as well. That's if it comes down to it. I agree with Trav, I would have used the LG PS additive.

Keep us updated. You could also shoot the LM people an email and tell them what you did, and get their feedback. They're great at getting back to you. I'd love to hear what they say.

Someone on here sent an email to LM regarding a while back (I could probably find it if you wanted evidence!) they replied saying that MoS2 is perfectly fine for use in manual transmissions and power steering systems. I'm sure it would also damage engine seals too if this was the case.
As a quick update after the drive home from work, it feels smoother steering whilst moving but I still got a bit of that shudder when I turn sharply at very low speeds parking up. I'm guessing the theory that it needs time to plate will apply here as in an engine it can take up to 500-1000kms before it plates and you get the effects. My guess would be that it would take even longer still to plate in a power steering system that is generally much less intense an environment than in an engine so I'm not going to make judgements after 30km yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back