When did Cooper become OEM supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I think that tire comes on the sportier package of the Focus. That's the RS3-A right?

Comes standard on the Hatches, I believe. And it is the RS3-A

Last I heard a few years ago, they wanted to avoid the OEM market.

I posted about it in another thread and dug up a press release saying when it was announced. It was 2013, I think?

I'll see if I can dig up my post on it.

EDIT - I can't find my old post, but I found the press release from when it was announced.

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-New...nal-Equipm.aspx

Quote:
FINDLAY, Ohio – Feb. 12, 2013 – Ford Motor Company has selected the Cooper Zeon RS3-A tire as standard original equipment on the 2013 Ford Focus SE and Titanium models. The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is the latest ultra high performance all-season tire in the Cooper Tire performance line up. Size 215/50R17 (W speed rated) is the fitment specified for the two Ford Focus models.

This is another sign, to me, that Cooper is on the upswing.

Not to start a firestorm, IMHO using these 2nd tier brands is a clear way for a car maker to cheap out on tires.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Not to start a firestorm, IMHO using these 2nd tier brands is a clear way for a car maker to cheap out on tires.

Or to indicate that the brand has moved into the top tier.

(I'm not suggesting that it has.)

Originally Posted By: rjundi

What proof do you have that indicates that the RS3-A is a "2nd tier" tire? The published evaluations I've read find the RS3-A to be equivalent to the P Zero Nero All Season if not quite the equal of the Pilot Sport A/S.

Personally, I think that most OEM tires are "2nd tier" but that has nothing to do with Cooper as a brand. They've come on strong in recent years and make some really nice tires that happen to be more value-oriented AND made in the U.S. That might make it a "1st tier" tire in and of itself in my distorted view of reality.

I've had 2 sets of Cooper's on my truck. Out of all the tires i've ever put on my trucks they have been the best. I've had Firestones, BFG's, General's and a few others. None of them have performed as well overall and even come close to lasting as long.

Close to 70k on the last set of Coopers, all the others topped out around 40-50k. I think in the last few years they have really stepped up and come up with a decent tire at a competitive cost. I'll probably be buying them again.

I would love to see Cooper expand their dealer network for those of us who prefer to not buy tires online. They're often hard to find locally, and/or expensive because of little competition.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Personally I would not buy a car with Coopers on it. If I was dead set on the car, changing out to Michelin would be part of the sales contract.

That seems a little extreme. I have driven on Coopers for many years without any issues for many years. They may not have the price tag but I believe some of the "second tier" tire companies have come a long way (Cooper/General etc.) They are making quality tires that are comparable to any of the top tier brands.

Personally I would not buy a car with Coopers on it. If I was dead set on the car, changing out to Michelin would be part of the sales contract.

Well...Personally I would not buy a car with Michelins on it. If I was dead set on the car, changing out to Cooper would be part of the sales contract.

I would not touch Cooper 10-15 years ago, but they have many good models now. I used to buy Michelin for my cars 15-20 years ago, but the mid-range tires of the last 5-10 years are not much better than lower price brands but their prices are too high makes them not a good buy.

And after the horrible set of Michelin LTX's that I had, I'd take a set of Cooper tires instead.

At least Cooper has a clue as to what "wet traction" is.

Moral of this thread,

All the major companies have made some good tires and some not-so-good tires. That's why every brand will have some people on an online forum complaining about them.

All I'll say about Cooper is the new CS5 series is pretty impressive so far. I hope they continue to make good tires, but if they don't, I won't buy them in the future.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Moral of this thread,

All the major companies have made some good tires and some not-so-good tires. That's why every brand will have some people on an online forum complaining about them.

All I'll say about Cooper is the new CS5 series is pretty impressive so far. I hope they continue to make good tires, but if they don't, I won't buy them in the future.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back