GoodYear Triple Treads, snow and ice, 2 thumbs up

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...Tred+All-Season

I continue to be impressed by these tires on our minivan. This was the vehicle that took us through the snow and ice when we started to venture out last week.

It would have been fine with any FWD vehicle, but the traction was strong enough to attempt a few hills, with no drama. There was also sheer ice on the roads, and they did well for the conditions.

I'm not a big fan of GY tires, but these continue to impress.

M

I had a set of 215/55/ 17 on my Altima. Very good in the winter but it was the loudest tire I have ever owned. Very bad howling noise on the highway.

From TireRack testing:

"Overall the Continental TrueContact led the group with good overall winter traction and stable handling. The Michelin Defender was next best, providing reasonable traction levels in the snow. The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season and Firestone Precision Touring both provided noticeably lower traction than the Continental and Michelin tires, with the Goodyear tire taking nearly 35 feet longer to stop in the snow from 20mph than the test-leading Continental tire."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=189

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplayWinter.jsp?ttid=189

I had 206/60-15 TT's on my 2000 Jetta. They lasted 40,000mi. which is good on this car, were really good on dry and wet roads, pretty noisy (very noisy after 30,000mi.) and OK in snow and ice. The new General Altimax RT-53"s are much quieter, smoother riding, a little less responsive and a lot better in snow and ice. When new I see no need for winter tires. I would definitely buy them again and recommend them to everyone.

I inherited a set from previous owner on the 03 Altima I acquire last June with about 75% tread left.

Overall much better than any other Goodyear all season tire i ever tired, but otherwise nothing particularly noteworthy except excellent resistance to hyroplaning. They do howl over 40mph but I don't really care about that.

In the winter they're pretty good as long as the snow is wet & runny enough to be treated like water. On hard, coarse snow they're a bit better than average for A/S tire. However on thick gooey snow they somewhat bellow average, requiring much work for clean take-off and maintaining directional control.

Very average for an A/S on ice. Likely the special "ice compound" in the center rib has already deteriorated form 2.5 years of being driven year round.

Would probably be a little batter if it wasn't a 225 instead of the proper 215. Tried to compensate with +6 psi but it didn;t seem to make difference.

Noticable loss of dry grip when it's colder than -6C. I understand A/S tires start losing dry grip theoretically starting at 7C, but in real life I've never noticed the difference in normal driving until -12 or colder until now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...Tred+All-Season

I continue to be impressed by these tires on our minivan. This was the vehicle that took us through the snow and ice when we started to venture out last week.

It would have been fine with any FWD vehicle, but the traction was strong enough to attempt a few hills, with no drama. There was also sheer ice on the roads, and they did well for the conditions.

I'm not a big fan of GY tires, but these continue to impress.

M

Good foul weather review, Thanks!
What is your overall feeling on the "everydayness" of how, smooth/quiet, ride/handling & braking of this tire on your specific vehicle(T&C)?

^^^

On an everyday basis I can't find anything wrong with them. They are generally quiet, don't transmit much road noise are quick to respond if I toss the van in a corner (which, really, I don't do often). They track well, don't wander, and are great in the rain. They handle like a sport tire with a little weight in them, if that makes sense.

They are directional, so rotations are limited unless you swap wheels.

They do make a little noise, it's not much, and it's hard to describe... it's not a growl/drone but maybe a rumble, but rotating a little early seems to moderate it. Everyone says they do get noisier after 30,000 miles. Our have under 10,000 as it's a third car. for this vehicle, if I needed new tires, I would buy again based on the experience so far.

Note: back when I did the research, they reviewed very differently based on size. Passenger sizes reviewed very well. SUV/Truck sizes did not.

Very good, Thanks!

My Pirelli P4's are quiet too but, they make a mild, Jjjjjjjjrrrrrrr sound on mildly damp roads(not soaked roads). It's not loud, just noticeable! It's the sound of water being expelled from the tread! It's kind'a cool!

Last edited:
I am always impressed when people boast how their tires pull forward very good. I am wondering what is more important: stopping or pulling forward?

STOPPING, IMHO!

I'd like to think that if people had an issue with stopping that, it would come out in the review. Especially if ABS was activated too easily!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
STOPPING, IMHO!

I'd like to think that if people had an issue with stopping that, it would come out in the review. Especially if ABS was activated too easily!

That is common thing here in Colorado. Whenever it snows it is a mess, and everyone is saying: thank good I have AWD. I never saw issues because car got stuck going forward, but saw traffic because people hit someone in the back.

Yeah really! I know so many people that think AWD is also All Wheel Stopping! Every vehicle on the road is All Wheel Stopping! And a heavier SUV will probably have a longer stopping distance. But so many people still think that their AWD vehicle will out brake a 2WD vehicle when in fact, they're both similar on shear ice!

It's the tires being the main difference in the stopping along with the ABS etc. And IMHO, I hate ABS for stopping in the winter time with the exception of the Traction Control when going around corners or panic situations.

But, with the right tires, my ABS almost never comes on, on slippery surfaces. The tires do a better job. But, I have had tire that were so bad(even when new) that, the ABS would kick on and I'd often pass my own driveway!
smirk.gif

Parents are on their 3rd set on their Honda Odyssey. Dad loves them, says they are the best tire he's ever driven in the rain, which is all we get down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back