Help me decide on oil for new to me car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big difference in a 349k vehicle from the southern states and one from the northeast where the car body would resemble a rusted dune buggy from the salt.

just curious how much did you pay for a car with 349k ?
im not gonna judge you, but few people would buy a car with that many miles

I would definitely. If a car has gone this far, chances are high it has received at least a minimum amount of maintenance and service. Otherwise it would not have gone so far. Chances also are high it was not used for short trips in the city.
So it might well be in a much better chape mechanically than most low-mileage grocery-getters.

I'd always prefer high miles and a full service record (such as seems to be the case here) to low miles and unknown/debatable history. If you happen to know the previous owner and know if and how he takes care of stuff, that's even better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
Hello folks, picked up a 01' Focus ZX3 2 dr from a cl worker with a LOT of miles on it. Stick shift, ck worker put new clutch in it and gave it a tune up also. I am debating on Pennzoil "GOLD" synthetic blend or something like some of the QS DEFY I have. Hear and read the Pennzoil gold is good oil, so any advice and suggestions on a solid oil choice are welcome and appreciated

I've been using Mobil 1 5w-20 and 0w-20 in my SO's Focus and her mothers Focus also. One is a stick, and one automatic. The stick had about 145,000 on it before we rptraded it in for a new Focus 2 years ago. Also I used to have one of the STV Focus,. I used the Mobil 1 5w-20 in that one for about 8 years / 160,000 miles before it got sold.

Whatever brand you go with, stick with all synthetic, blends are bad bargin.

Z

I would use Pennzoil or MaxLife 5W-20 to start to get a baseline, then if it uses any go to 5W-30. I'm maybe strange, but would consider a synthetic high mileage as well.

Originally Posted By: car51
I may just use the lone jug of MC 5w20 I have with a FRAM Tough Guard

Go for it, a great combo. I have a 1996 Contour with that Zetec engine and a 5 speed manual. That engine loves to rev. I've used various 5W-30(owner's manual viscosity) synthetics and blends and it doesn't use any real measurable oil even in 8800 mile oil change intervals. Looking through the oil fill the head still looks almost new. Of course mine is a "baby" compared to yours, it only has ~102500 miles and it's rust free. It's garaged in the winter(salt)months.

Whimsey

You'll certainly get $200.00 of use out of this car and probably a lot more.
If the car has survived this long, it's probably had decent care and anything which typically breaks has probably been replaced 2X.

Well, gentleman I am planning on running some of the True Value 5w30 "master mechanic" oil that I learned about (rebate on the oil i mean) along with a FRAM TG-3614 filter that I scored 2 of at a garage sale on my street for 75cents a piece :0)

probably run this combo for the owners manual recommended 7,500 miles too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back