old case of Pennzoil - is it usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha!
grin.gif
I found a case of old oil in my storage room I forgot about. I am thinking it is at least 10 years old or so? It is Pennzoil 10w-40 with Z7. Does oil go bad? I have a newer riding mower that says 10w-40 will work SJ classification or better this oil says SH , SH/CD, SG/CD.
I would like to use it if could.
I would attach some pictures of the bottle if I could figure out how.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sure its fine to use -- in something you don't care about. Most manufacturers list a 5 year shelf life for unopened oil. If it was my oil, I would take it to a recycling facility. When balanced against the cost of my machinery, it would not be worth the risk. I realize that most of the members of the forum will disagree with me. The underlying theme here is to squeeze every ounce of lift out of a quart of oil. The impact on the engines seems to be a secondary concern. I am sure there are many who would also tell you that it would be OK to use oil that is 50 years old. Not me. Get rid of it and get some new oil for your equipment.

Sounds like good mower oil (if it's 10 years old). My mower gets motorcycle oil, NextGen Valvoline, 10 year old Castrol GTX, and it's still running lol.

Just because the mfg put a 5 year shelf life on it doesn't mean squat. They must have felt they had to put some date but I can assure you, they did'nt run any type of test to prove it. Even so, I would probably use it in a older car or lawn tractor than one of my newer cars. Bet anything though that it is fine.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Its from the late 70's early 80's

Wow - curious how you came up with that? I wasn't thinking that old, but my memory is not what it was.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Just because the mfg put a 5 year shelf life on it doesn't mean squat. They must have felt they had to put some date but I can assure you, they did'nt run any type of test to prove it. Even so, I would probably use it in a older car or lawn tractor than one of my newer cars. Bet anything though that it is fine.

Doesn't mean "squat" to you but means something to me. I am not one of those individuals that thinks everything a manufacturer says or does is a conspiracy to screw the customers. Where is your evidence that the manufacturers did no tests on old oil before establishing a shelf life? What qualifications do you have that would have me lean toward accepting your "assurances."

Yep it should be fine. Leave it out in the sun on a warm day and get it good and warm then shake each bottle vigorously to re blend anything that has fallen out of suspension in the oil. Should be perfect lawnmower oil if it's sealed.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Its from the late 70's early 80's

Nope, try again

SJ is from the mid 90's

Sorry my first post was confusing. I have a mower that says in the manual 10W-40 SJ or better but this old Pennzoil oil says SH, SH/CD, SG/CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back