Harbor Freight trailer light recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI for those of you who have purchased Harbor Freight's Haul Master trailer lighting kits or built a HF trailer with included lighting kit in the past decade or so. 888,122 kits are being recalled since they do not have red rear side marker lights. The kits stated they met FMVSS 108 when they didn't due to missing that red side marker light.

The part numbers officially recalled so far are: 60597, 93861, and 69624. 60521 might be added, but isn't listed on the NHTSA's website yet.

Link to the recall: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchCurrentMonthRecall It's the second one down as of right now. If that doesn't work, it's campaign number 15E019000.

We have a few of those LED kits on trailers where I work. I wondered if those were DOT compliant missing side markers.
I doubt anyone will bother to swap them out though.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
i don't plug my trailer lights in anyway.

Hope you stay off the public roads.

Likely since most of those trailers were sold in states with no trailer inspection, and for use on occasionally-used trailers like boat and utility trailers, nobody really paid any attention to the matter. Likely somebody got into a crash somewhere, got sued over that missing bulb, dragged HF into it since the kits are marked as FMVSS 108 compliant on the packaging (might be on the lights too or in a product manual), and then that got the feds involved.

NC doesn't do trailer inspections either.

However, this shows that NHTSA does take this stuff seriously, and when presented with specific information, they WILL move to enforce regulation. I'm sure they wish they could be more proactive, but I'm sure their staffing is as limited as any other agency's.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Likely somebody got into a crash somewhere, got sued over that missing bulb, dragged HF into it since the kits are marked as FMVSS 108 compliant on the packaging (might be on the lights too or in a product manual), and then that got the feds involved.
Ding Ding Ding...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back