Ford 2.3L Duratec and valve adjustments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a random silly question about the 2.3L (non VVT) in the escape. Do these engines ever require valve inspection and adjustment? I cannot find anything in the OM or service schedule about it. It has 120k miles on it now and seems like I am missing some maintenance on it but maybe not.

That's the Mazda L engine, right? I believe they use hydraulic valve lash adjusters, so there is no adjustment required. If they are making noise, then they may need to be replaced. If no noise, then nothing to worry about.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That's the Mazda L engine, right? I believe they use hydraulic valve lash adjusters, so there is no adjustment required. If they are making noise, then they may need to be replaced. If no noise, then nothing to worry about.
smile.gif

I don't think it is the Mazda as those had variable valve timing. This is the basic 2.3L. I'll have to research and see if it is also hydraulic valve lash adjusters.

It is interesting you say this about Mazda, though, because they recommend valve clearance audible inspection every 75k miles and adjust if noisy. The new skyactiv mazda engines do not have this inspection requirement.

My 2007 Mazda had the 2.3L engine and there was a valve check for excessive noise at 75,000 miles. The newer SkyActiv engines have hydrallic lifters. ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
It is interesting you say this about Mazda, though, because they recommend valve clearance audible inspection every 75k miles and adjust if noisy. The new skyactiv mazda engines do not have this inspection requirement.

A hydraulic lifter can still very easily make noise...if it's failed or stuck or other similar collapsed condition, valve lash could be very much out of tolerance.

I personally prefer manually-adjusted valve lash for this reason. Sure, it's another maintenance item, but it's typically very easy for a DIYer to do solid lifters just don't fail. Hydraulic lifters are usually reliable, but I've owned a number of engines with noisy lifters...and I couldn't adjust them.
frown.gif

This better be a mazda L with no variable intake or possibly no tumble valve (which fall apart).

I think its SHIM UNDER BUCKET requiring disassembly for adjustment like the older Toyota 2AZ Or at least a special shim extraction tool.

2006_ford_fusion_picture%20(37).jpg

Last edited:
hrmm.... I can't find anything indicating these are hydraulic lash adjusters. Where is bdcardinal when you need him!

hrmm.... I can't find anything indicating these are hydraulic lash adjusters. Where is bdcardinal when you need him!

It may be like Arco listed above: solid lifters but with a shim-and-bucket design which offers no method of adjustment. Toyota does use a very similar arrangement. In my opinion, this offers sort of a worst of both worlds compromise. Hydraulic lifters at least have the capability of self-adjustment. Manual lash adjustment offers easy adjustability if required. The shim-and-bucket design offers no self-adjustment AND no easy manual adjustment; parts have to be replaced to effect a change in valve lash.

I Googled "mazda 2.3 valve adjustment" and found this:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=298768

Quote:
First of all there are no shims to adjust valve lash, you have to change tappets to adjust valve lash, which sucks IMO. So here are the clearance numbers. Engine Cold.....Intake..0.22-0.28mm (0.0087-0.0110in) and Exhaust..0.27-0.33mm (0.0107-0.0129in) And sense they dont stock the tappets you have to pull the cams and tappets after you wright down the clearances to find the tappets size so you know what size to order. And that takes a couple of days, it would be alot easier if they used shims, oh well.

This forum link does mention shims, but also says that camshaft removal is required:

http://forums.mazdaworld.org/100-milleni...cial-tools.html

Are you curious, or is your valvetrain making noise?

There is a valve adjustment, but you only really do it on engine assembly. There are 18 different lifter part numbers depending on the gap required. The shim is incorporated into the lifter assembly.

Literally the only time I have ever dealt with this setup is when we are replacing a head under warranty. The replacement heads do not come with cams, just valves and springs. We send them out to a machine shop with the old lifters for a baseline and they order ones they need.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
There is a valve adjustment, but you only really do it on engine assembly. There are 18 different lifter part numbers depending on the gap required. The shim is incorporated into the lifter assembly.

Literally the only time I have ever dealt with this setup is when we are replacing a head under warranty. The replacement heads do not come with cams, just valves and springs. We send them out to a machine shop with the old lifters for a baseline and they order ones they need.

Thanks. Sounds like no need to worry about it in this case.

Thanks. Sounds like no need to worry about it in this case.

Nope. If you really really wanted to, you could. But I would advise against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back