is breakfree CLP a good penetrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was going tp bu some pb blaster but thinking of getting BF CLP instead as i can use on my firearms also. will CLP work as well as pb for rusty nuts and bolts?

I personally have not tried this, but many tests reveal that a 50/50 mix of ATF/acetone works the best. Might be worth a shot if you already have some laying around.

No, it's pretty mediocre at that. I've tested it against PB and AeroKroil in the garage informally.

Kroil is the best I've run across in a can. ATF + acetone or something similar works well, too.

I've only used it one time as a penetrant, when I sprayed some seat bolts from under the car a couple of weeks in advance of removing the seat. (It was all I had on hand) When I took the seat out the bolts were still oily and came right out. This was in the winter on a 12 yr old vehicle.

Pb blaster seems to dry up too quick so my next can will be another brand, but clp is too expensive for my cars.

The BF CLP liquid is much thicker than PB Blaster. Cannot comment on the aerosol.

FWIW, the ATF/Acetone worked on a rusty fuel filter thread for me
thumbsup2.gif

As far as I know, CLP is formulated for firearms as a lubricant and used widely by the Military for that purpose, so I wouldn't think it would do much to penetrate rust.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
was going tp bu some pb blaster but thinking of getting BF CLP instead as i can use on my firearms also. will CLP work as well as pb for rusty nuts and bolts?

CLP is more of a lubricant, given enough time I am sure CLP would eventually soak in. Use either a commercial product or 50/50 acetone and atf.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
As far as I know, CLP is formulated for firearms as a lubricant and used widely by the Military for that purpose, so I wouldn't think it would do much to penetrate rust.

Cleans
Lubes
Protects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back