Pirelli Cinturato P1 215/60 16 - two weeks in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the cracked Toyo Teos (that I never really found that good, even before they went hard and cracked) with Pirelli P1s two weeks ago tomorrow.

First impression at low speeds was that the steering was quite lighter...which worried me a bit, expecting that to translate to understeer...it didn't...The Teos would turn into plough understeer fairly readily and I have found the Pirellis go a lot harder into corners, and still respond to inputs.

The Toyos, as mentioned in the other thread were activating the ABS on turn into an off camber hairpin on way to work, these don't.

Damp roads, the Toyos would light up at 45MPH full throttle...these you can hear "grinding", but don't have to back off to hold revs, they grip and go.

Braking...no contest.

Have had limited contact with standing water, but in some rain last week, pointed it at the truck ruts, which previously had strong pull, and a bit of aquaplaning.

Yeah, old tyres versus new, but the Toyos had a lot of tread left, just were hard and a little cracked.

$135/paw, which was only 35% premium over the chinese no-name brands...and old mate let my son sit atop a pile of new tyres and watch "Doc" get new tyres fitted and balanced, which was gold IMO, compared to everyone else with a closed door policy for customers.

You really can't judge a tire's performance until after 1000 miles...other than noise...especially the "light ride"...It needs to "break-in" first.

...due to the significant dread depth of the new tire, it should ride a bit lighter may not even grip as well as a worn tire on dry roadways.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
You really can't judge a tire's performance until after 1000 miles...other than noise...especially the "light ride"...It needs to "break-in" first.

...due to the significant dread depth of the new tire, it should ride a bit lighter may not even grip as well as a worn tire on dry roadways.

Yeah, I should have got someone else to drive the car for the first 1000 miles.

My bad.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

My bad.

Get the wife to drive it.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

My bad.

LOL

It only gets better for that first 1K miles... unless you flat-spot it or something... so if the initial impression is positive, you're good to go.

I guess that I'd be allowed to comment now that I'm past the 1,000 miles.

Love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back