Starting to burn oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes Tahoe used to burn about a qt in 1100 miles. I switched it to Super-S high Milage that was on clearance @ Kmart and now its going 3500+ per qt. A leak can leak out more than you think and that may be a larger factor than you think.

Thanks for all the info,a HM oil change will get done this weekend.I will also get ahold of the GM top end cleaner.Next up will be getting a better look at leaks and keeping a much closer eye on things. As for cost if oil,here it is roughly 25$ for basic oil not on sale and in a 5qt jug, as low as 15$ on sale.Rarely do 1 quart bottles go on sale. I stock up on oils and Seafoam etc.when I do head south.

Originally Posted By: Olas
For oil to burn it has to get into the combustion chamber, either past the guides, stem seals, rings or PCV. Leak down and compression numbers should tell you whats occuring

Ditto... I would go with an OCI of PYB HM 5W30 and a can of "motor oil saver". This has helped me with a few other vehicles with consumption issues. Order a can from Amazon for like $10 and use it in your next oil change. It works and will help with a possible valve guide/seal issues. It can take up to 1K to see any improvement.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't frequent the site enough to get all the acronyms, OCI of PYB? The "motor oil saver"is that the liqui moly stuff?

with that mileage + not having been using at least a group III "synthetic" which is said to reduce wear, you surely could try a 10-40, or a 15-40 rotella T even better, prolly summer only, 5-40 in the winter. at about $5 a qt todays group III "synthetics"are a good value + usually last longer, they are cleaner, resist heat better, + flow better in the cold. check that leak closely as well, heavier oils also leak less. petroleum oil with a wider spread require more additives, so when using a 10-40 a group III synthetic is much better. pennzoils newer GTL oils are very good group III "synthetics", Mobil I extended oils use a good amount of PAO group IV oil making it better for wider viscosity spreads. rebuilding half your engine top or bottom is generally not recommended with high mileage as it puts more pressure on the unrebuilt section

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
That consumption is a bit high. You are a good candidate for MaxLife 10-30 in the summer, and MaxLife 5-30 in your winter.

The MaxLife is all you need. Skip the additives. Your truck still has a long, long way to go.

+1

Use the Valvoline and Castrol you already have as top up oil since the HM oil isn't going to fix it overnight.

+2 10w30 Maxlife

+3 10W-30 Valvoline Maxlife

See if that helps and then the valve job can come later if you keep the truck.

Originally Posted By: 1LOW1
Sorry I don't frequent the site enough to get all the acronyms, OCI of PYB? The "motor oil saver"is that the liqui moly stuff?

Pennzoil High Mileage oil in 5W30 or 10W30. Motor oil saver is made by Liqui Moly and you can find it at Amazon for around $10.20 shipped per can...

Last edited:
2 qts before 1k is very high.

Clean your injectors (actually opening them and cleaning them NOT additives) and put good oil in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie
2 qts before 1k is very high.

Clean your injectors (actually opening them and cleaning them NOT additives) and put good oil in it.

Just curious how cleaning the fuel injectors are going to help with oil consumption?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Pennzoil High Mileage oil in 5W30 or 10W30. Motor oil saver is made by Liqui Moly and you can find it at Amazon for around $10.20 shipped per can...

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1802.html?OpenDocument&land=gb

We have had threads here that confirm that this additive does work very well... I would try this before tearing into this engine.

Last edited:
No oil or additive is going to help you with that much consumption. Plan on replacing the valve seals and do a compression test. You probably have leaking seals and severely stuck (or blown) rings to burn two quarts in 850 miles.

Any opinions on Castrol HM oil? It is an sale starting tomorrow.Thinking of getting enough to change oil in my wifes van as well after all the reading I've done. Going to pick up GM top end cleaner, and run some Seafoam through just before I change the oil.I will check my PVC and get a better look at the leaks.I am also getting a leak test done as soon as my mechanic can get me in. I have a long road trip in 6 weeks so I will have the opportunity to put on some mileage and keep a good eye on things.Also ordering some "motor oil saver" and picking it up when I head south in a few weeks. Thank you all for the help.

And Merkava_4 Manitoba is about 34 hours Northeast of you,near the middle of Canada,the closest large city to me is Winnipeg.

Hi, I'm a bit of a lurker don't post just browse a bit.I took a brief browse looking for some answers but I'm still a little lost. I have an 03 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0 gas. I am starting to use a little more oil than I should be. Roughly 1-2 quarts in 850 mile road trip. I was hauling about 6000lbs and with 4.10 gears my rpm is about 2300. I get no smoke at start up and do leak a little, I am going to clean up the engine and monitor that better. I have just over 200,000 miles and about 8500hrs run time. My questions are is there a huge difference in 5-30 oils such as Penzoil,Quaker State,Valvoline or Castrol. I get the difference between synthetic and high mileage oils but how about the basics. I'm also considering an additive to maybe condition/help my valve seals. I'm not expecting miracles just a little prolonged life from this engine before I swap in another.One of the local mechanics mentioned a flush with Seafoam in the oil then an STP additive, not sure which one however I will need to confirm which one.

Hi 1LOW1, Our Pennzoil and Quaker State motor oils are similar in technology, but their formulations are not the same. Pennzoil puts an emphasis on engine cleanlines, and preventing sludge and other damaging deposits. Quaker State puts an emphasis on durability and second-to-none wear protection.

With that said – and considering that your Silverado’s engine has approximately 200,000 miles on it - we would recommend our Quaker State Defy Synthetic Blend 5W-30 High Mileage Motor Oil for your 2003 Silverado 2500 (which is formulated to “prevent 98% of all future engine wear”). Besides the extra anti-wear agents, the QS Defy is also formulated with extra seal conditioners (to help reduce oil leakage), as well as a higher viscosity (to help with engine sealing and the possible reduction of blow-by). Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back