Which oil for a spotless engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oil would you choose if your top priority was ZERO varnish accumulation and how often would you change it? I'm talking about a brand new engine and let's say you were keeping it from 0 to 400,000 miles. What would be your maintenance regimen?

Merk - you already know the answer to this. You have asked it fifty different ways.
cheers3.gif

With the OCI that you will undoubtedly run--any certified oil would do the trick would it not?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Any top brand, major synthetic.
Pennzoil Platinum changed every 5k miles.

Why? Well why not!? Lol
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Any top brand, major synthetic.

What would be the OCI ? Keep in mind it would need to be changed often enough so that absolutely no trace of varnish has any chance to form anywhere.

I'd alternate using an oil like QSUD and SFS with both having add packs that were more about anti-wear additives than cleaning ones, then every fourth OCI use a PP or PU leaning more towards cleaning than anti wear.

Run all synthetic oil out to 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
With the OCI that you will undoubtedly run--any certified oil would do the trick would it not?

I don't know. I'm taking about an engine that is so clean, that if I was to take it apart, all I would have to do is pour a gallon of lacquer thinner over it and it would look brand new.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Merk - you already know the answer to this. You have asked it fifty different ways.
cheers3.gif

Don't know what your mission is Merk but we'll try to get you there.

Merk, please take off a valve cover on your Buick and post a picture of what it looks like. I'm dying to know since you tell us all that our extended OCIs are making a filthy engine. I'd like to see what an engine that has been overly-serviced looks like under the valve cover.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Are you sure 5000 miles is not too long?

I'm talking about ZERO varnish. I'm talking about as clean as an unopened BandAid.

I've been running Amsoil at 8-9K miles, then in recent years 13-15K miles. I replaced the pan, valve, and timing cover gaskets.

This is at about 205K miles 6 months ago. It's pretty darn clean. But you can see some color.

I think I would run Amsoil signature series and change at 5K

Last edited:
I think pennzoil platinum would be my choice i use QSUD but it does not seem to clean as well as pennzoil even know its the same company.

Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1 or Royal Purple. It seems like most times I see valvetrain shots of vehicles that ran Royal Purple or Mobil 1 at sane intervals, it's nice and shiny clean.

Merk, please take off a valve cover on your Buick and post a picture of what it looks like. I'm dying to know since you tell us all that our extended OCIs are making a filthy engine. I'd like to see what an engine that has been overly-serviced looks like under the valve cover.

Well, I just purchased a 1991 Chevrolet Silverado, 4.3 V6 engine, 85550 miles. The school I work for purchased it in 1995 with about 58k on the odometer. I was able to obtain the service records. The oil used was Amoco 10w/30. OCIs were every 6-8 months, Napa Gold filter. The average mileage per OCI was 1500-1800 miles, with some OCIs as low as 1000 miles. The engine shows heavy varnish at least. I cannot see any signs of sludge, but I cant say the engine is spotless. Around 27k miles in 20 years.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Are you sure 5000 miles is not too long?

I'm talking about ZERO varnish. I'm talking about as clean as an unopened BandAid.

None. You said it. Unopened, untouched. Not possible naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back