Mobil1 10w40, 8292 mi, 2013 Chevy Equinox 2.4l 4cy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thank you for the explanation. It sounds like this timing chain failure mode is really a timing chain guide failure.

I think the chain prematurely stretches and then "slaps" the guides, which can break off the nylon.
smile.gif

By the looks of this UOA thicker is not always better. I would use a thick 0w30 or 5w30, at the most maybe M1 0w40 as other have mentioned. Change at 5K.

10w40 is a great oil. Not best for winter cool weather use.

The 0w40 and 5w40 are some options for better cold oil pumping flow.

I wouldn't even bother with GM oil recommendation after seeing some of their DI fuel dilution engine failures. Reprogramming the OLM to shorten the OCI is not a fix. Stick with the 40 grade synthetics. If there is a GM engineer reading this, consider using fuel diluted oil for engine R&D testing.

The wear here, even that aluminum, is nothing to worry about.

Just my opinion,

In a GDi, dilution will win the battle vs any oil. I wouldn't run anything past 7500 miles in that or most other GDi engines, and even that may be a stretch.

*if the dilution coincides with high wear matals.

Yikes, that oil is nuked.

Decrease the OCI, go with regular dino, save your money, dump the car at the end of the lease.

Use 5W-30 Dexos and run the OLM to 0. If you're going to waste money on an UOA, that is the one I'd want to see.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Yikes, that oil is nuked.

Decrease the OCI, go with regular dino, save your money, dump the car at the end of the lease.

Actually, I'd move $10-15 across via paypal to see a Chev recommended oil see out it's full OLM OCI for comparison in this case.

Anyone else up for it ?

Maybe try qsud 10w30 or pu 10w30. Both have low noack. If fuel dilution is high try and change your stop and go driving or better yet hit the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back