Oil leak, help! 2003 Honda CRV transfer case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find the vent on the TC. Maybe it's not venting properly or at all causing fluid to push past the seals/gaskets! IDK where the vent is on your vehicle.

I would take it in to your dealer and have them check the oil level first so you do not run it low and damage the unit. They may know what it is right away. If they don't then when
it is cold from sitting spray it off with spray brake cleaner.

Then get it clean and dry and watch it for the next weeping. You can "dust" the unit with talcum powder to help the weeping show up better as well.

Then consult your dealer for the fix. Now understand some units will just weep and that's it. So you may not have a serious issue. If it is not dripping on the ground then it may be ok for now. But get it checked.

Last edited:
Does it look like an active leak...or does it look like there are any drips? It looks coated with oily residue, but if nothing drops to the floor or looks like an active drip, I'd say that it's far more trouble to repair than it's worth. Fortunately for these, the transfer case shares the sump with the transmission, so all you need to do is check the level of the transmission fluid to know that it's full.

no drip on the case.

I would wash the case down with degreaser, dry and then monitor it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

No need to jump right into conclusion at this moment.

Q.

My Jeep's transfer case has looked that way as long as Ive had it. The fluid level is always good so I havent worried too much about it.

Last edited:
Good news guys! No TC leak, I am pretty sure it was my bypass filter petcock valve that dripped a little bit of oil when I forgot to close the valve completely, didn't take much oil to make it look wet. The petcock is directly above the exhaust manifold heat shield, which then ran off that and onto the TC. So, for now, I am relieved.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back