03 pt cruiser engine lurching bucking sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It did it enough times on my way back to work to eventually light the CEL.

The Mopar part is price competitive. Maybe the Echlin is the same as the OE supplier. My opinion? O'Reilly's Borg Warner isn't any better than the Duralast

Spaz might be right but I would wait for the CEL.

Every time I don't see a CEL for an issue like that I check mechanical first (rotted mounts etc).

But a CPS is dirt cheap, and if that doesn't work just add the CkPS next and if it still does it, well, whatever then I guess lol.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Spaz might be right but I would wait for the CEL.

Every time I don't see a CEL for an issue like that I check mechanical first (rotted mounts etc).

But a CPS is dirt cheap, and if that doesn't work just add the CkPS next and if it still does it, well, whatever then I guess lol.

True. I remember when I was having an obvious misfire on the Expedition and no CEL. I took it into Ford where my buddy worked and he was able to check the misfire counts for each cylinder to tell me which coil was going so I could replace it.

I wonder if such data exists for the PT?

Overkill, misfire counts as LiveData I think you need to plug it in to a pretty decent scanner.

I used a SnapOn scanner in school and you can see the Msfr cts per cyl and #.

But junky Innova scanners from CT will only tell you Pending Codes and when the Code becomes a CEL.

So if the misfires fall just below a certain number you will never have access to the data at all.

And if it is an intermittent sensor problem it most likely won't be a specific Cyl# like when coils, plugs, or wires are the culprit.

If you have access to a Oscilloscope you CAN backprobe CAM and Crank though with some T-Pins...

Overkill, misfire counts as LiveData I think you need to plug it in to a pretty decent scanner.

I used a SnapOn scanner in school and you can see the Msfr cts per cyl and #.

But junky Innova scanners from CT will only tell you Pending Codes and when the Code becomes a CEL.

So if the misfires fall just below a certain number you will never have access to the data at all.

And if it is an intermittent sensor problem it most likely won't be a specific Cyl# like when coils, plugs, or wires are the culprit.

If you have access to a Oscilloscope you CAN backprobe CAM and Crank though with some T-Pins...

Yup, I know the Snap-On scanner works on the Expedition for providing that data. The scanner I have for the BMW shows it as well (AutoEnginuity). I was just unsure as to whether the PT actually logged this info or not
smile.gif

All Dodge and Chrysler since '96 log Misfire, CAM and CRANK data, maybe a school nearby with a scanner can hook the car up in the parking lot and see the misfire counts.

If ramman lived in the West Island of Montreal they would absolutely LOVE for you to drop by.

Any trade school nearby??

All Dodge and Chrysler since '96 log Misfire, CAM and CRANK data, maybe a school nearby with a scanner can hook the car up in the parking lot and see the misfire counts.

If ramman lived in the West Island of Montreal they would absolutely LOVE for you to drop by.

Any trade school nearby??

Great info
thumbsup2.gif
Thanks. The Charger is the first Mopar I've owned so I wasn't sure as to their approach.

Well car messed up again today. I suppose tomorrow I will replace the cam sensor. I hate to just guess but the problem isn't getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back