Techron Test: Bad Results...

Well the saga continues.

It sounds like he's going to try seafoam in gastank first.
Then, seafoam+water next direct next. And then maybe others after.

We should comment on his youtube or even do a groupbuy to get him product to really drive his next trials. I want to see if redline will do anything.

Even if the statement is techron will take 20tanks, you need something to compare it against which is why the upcoming trials will be fun to watch.

If seafoam gives the same result, then you can say ok, techron is no better or worse than seafoam.

But if seafoam gives a huge difference in 1 tank or 1 treatment then yes you can say techron is not as effective as the other techniques.

Last edited:
I kept the chambers (and piston tops) in my Mustang clean the easy way: Good gas and driving the living *bleep* out of it, LOL!

The Expedition is probably pretty clean for the same reason
wink.gif

IMHO, he may have experienced better results just taking it for a very vigorous test drive.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Whole idea of GDI is that fuel shouldn't touch the piston tops or cylinder walls.

Crevices and quench areas should be running pure air...which is why they are starting to have to investigate oil related engine knock, because there is no "octane" in the air near the bores.

Exactly, in a direct injection engine techron will do SOME cleaning but it will not be very effective while in a ordinary port injection engine the techron will indeed be a very effective cleaner.

It is also important to not just add the techron and just drive during one single cycle, it will NOT be effective. For optimal effectiveness a PEA agent like techron should be driven a number of cycles on one tank so that the PEA can soak into the carbon after several runs and this will start to free up the carbon bonds.

Last edited:
Iwas gunna post this! at least he postmaker had the same idea i did; ) i was watching this, pas week now. his name is hisfix. he tested techron concentrate and gumaout all in one..he used 2 bottles. the first dose cleaned good. but adding a 2nd bottle, didntseem to do much.
wanted too email chrisfix and ask tooo try berryman b12. he used a borescope too look at his pistontops after using the above mentioned products.
made me think.to do thesame, and post m findings here, come spring:)

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I kept the chambers (and piston tops) in my Mustang clean the easy way: Good gas and driving the living *bleep* out of it, LOL!

The Expedition is probably pretty clean for the same reason
wink.gif

IMHO, he may have experienced better results just taking it for a very vigorous test drive.
' The best way to take care of carbon is the Italian Tuneup. My 528e will do 70 in 2 at the rev limiter.
grin2.gif

The best idea would be to start out using a good Fuel system cleaner like Gumout Complete Fuel System Cleaner or Techron etc, from the get go every 5k miles or so, along with Top Tier fuel. Driving for 100K or many 10s of thousands of miles, then trying to clean up deposits just isn't going to work well with fuel system treatments.

Plus you really don't want large amounts of deposits going through the combustion chamber & catalytic converter. Replacing a catalytic converter is an expensive proposition.

I'd say fuel system cleaners are mostly marketing. Do you really think 12-20 oz of something mixed with 10-20 gallons of gas is going to be strong enough to clean carbon buildup and yet still retain drivability while in the tank?

How many problems do people really see from carbon deposits on an otherwise well-maintained engine?

I believe there's no doubt fuel system cleaner with PEA is effective cleaning fuel injectors and intake valve deposits. Ethanol fuels gum up more than pure gasoline. I'm not sure how effective they are in the combustion chamber, using a good oil might have a larger impact on minimizing deposits.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I'd say fuel system cleaners are mostly marketing. Do you really think 12-20 oz of something mixed with 10-20 gallons of gas is going to be strong enough to clean carbon buildup and yet still retain drivability while in the tank?

How many problems do people really see from carbon deposits on an otherwise well-maintained engine?

Depends on what it is. A some bottled stuff is just kerosene. Techron is well thought of here and users report is is effective in non DI engines. Berrymans chemtool b-12 is more of a solvent and is pretty potent.

I use techron with a tank of costco gas. For my truck which sits a lot, i use 2 cans of b-12 with a tank of costco fuel( its a 30 gallon tank).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda

Depends on what it is. A some bottled stuff is just kerosene. Techron is well thought of here and users report is is effective in non DI engines. Berrymans chemtool b-12 is more of a solvent and is pretty potent.

I use techron with a tank of costco gas. For my truck which sits a lot, i use 2 cans of b-12 with a tank of costco fuel( its a 30 gallon tank).

Let me be honest and say I do throw a bottle of Techron in once per oil change. I don't expect it to do much but it's cheap peace of mind.

I put in a bottle of Amsoil PI, Redline SI-1 or Techron per oil change, on each of my vehicles.
Have done that for many years.

The best overall impact is the Redline SI-1, followed closely by Amsoil PI, then Techron (which almost always has minimal effect).

I've had zero deposit or injector issues with this regiment.

Originally Posted By: Turk
I put in a bottle of Amsoil PI, Redline SI-1 or Techron per oil change, on each of my vehicles.

The best overall impact is the Redline SI-1, followed closely by Amsoil PI, then Techron (which almost always has minimal effect).

I've had zero deposit or injector issues with this regiment.

I've used all three and found the Redline product to be the best as well.

Originally Posted By: Turk

More than 10-12 years ago my LS400 barely passed smog test, I bought a case Redline SI-1 and used a bottle 1 tank before the next smog test. That test was passed with more than 90% margin.

After the case was used up(for all my cars) I used Techron evey other year before smog test and so far all smog test passed with more than 70-80% matgin.

I don't know if using fuel system cleaner was the reason to keep emission under control, but 1 bottle every other year didn't cost too much so I keep doing it.

Testing one product after another on the same vehicle is preposterous. You won't know if any of the previous products started working, and just happened to help the carbon loosen up later versus newer, or the most recent product.

Back