QS Defy, HM And HDEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering, would it be fair to classify Defy as HD motor oil? I realize it hasn't been tested for soot control or long drain intervals in Diesels, but it's thick for grade, loaded with additives, and many on here have used it in a heavy duty gasoline engine application. Up for debate. I'm on the side of thinking it is HDEO.

not a labeled hdeo, but i bet it can run with some of the pack.
they probably dont want to pay for the API cert/lis for C-rating.

Wolfshead does, and i would and have trust it for years.
I have some wolfshead synblend 5w-20 that is "CF rated". it will be a test run/run in MMO flush fill in the olds350 V8 diesel.

-harvey

I doubt it is able to handle the amount of contaminants a diesel produces for long. There is more to an HDEO than high ZDDP, and Defy is lower in that than many HDEO's as well.

I doubt your diesel would grenade on it, but it seems a poor choice.

It's a bit mysterious for sure. Such as the 10W-40 is API SN, which I understand why, as SN allows for 10W-40, 20W-50, and HD 30 and 40 to have higher ZDDP levels. The 10W-40 in particular seems the best candidate for heavy duty, since it's loaded with ZDDP, moly, and boron.

It certainly might be suitable in some of the older diesels, where CF or older was specified. Plenty of the older Quaker State stuff was, even in 10w-30, until the energy conserving reformulations took hold.

I mix it with a HDEO for a gas engine. Works well from what I can tell. I would not run it in a Diesel... it likely can't fight soot/byproducts quited as well as a HEDO... and it is a bit lower in P, Zn, etc... and whatever other non-testable items might be working in the background..

Thanks for the relpies everyone. My thinking is that Defy could be an excellent alternative to 30 and 40 monogrades, since they are getting difficult to find in some places. For a fleet of gasoline engines, such as older pickups and lawn equipment, it seems this oil would fit the bill perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back