2014 6.7 Cummins questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've searched through a few pages of the forum but wasn't able to find answers to my questions, I'm new on here so please forgive me If i've missed something.

First off I recently bought a 2014 Ram 2500 CTD. It came factory filled with Valvoline 5w40.

I live in Manitoba, Canada and for the winters it gets very cold. Should I be staying with the 5w40 or should I be running a 15w40? Or switching winter/summer?

The majority of my driving is fairly short trips, and the towing I do is not very heavy, 10k at most. I'm thinking about using either Rotella T6 or Amsoil synthetic blend but upon reading a few threads on here, do I even need to be running synthetic?

The manual says 15k or 6month oil changes with a synthetic oil, but i'd be hard pressed to make 8k in 6 months with my driving habits.

Anyone have any suggestions on what type of oil I should use? Would rotella tripple t be sufficient? What are peoples thoughts on the amsoil OE or blend?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any real thoughts on brand- Rotella, Delo, and Delvac are excellent oils and Cummins obviously uses Valvoline for factory fill. But I'd stick with 5w40 year found for your climate, especially if its factory fill. There's no downside to it in the summer, its just more expensive since its typically a full synthetic in order to get that viscosity spread.

And IMO, that answers the part about using a synthetic vs. conventional, also. You don't "need synthetic," but you kinda need a characteristic (5w40) that is better achieved in a synthetic most of the time.

I would use Rotella T6 year round. I have run 18K miles on my last oil change and could have gone longer according to the UOA. Mine is a 1999 so no pollution stuff (fuel dilution).

My 5.9L Cummins has a 12 QT sump if that matters.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would use Rotella T6 year round. I have run 18K miles on my last oil change and could have gone longer according to the UOA. Mine is a 1999 so no pollution stuff (fuel dilution).

My 5.9L Cummins has a 12 QT sump if that matters.

Thank you for the replies.

Mines 12 quarts as well.

What is this "M1" you have in your sig behind the cummins? Is it an additive?

Why did you pay $8k for an engine option you didn't need? Towing 10,000 pounds in short trips does not need a heavy duty turbodiesel.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Why did you pay $8k for an engine option you didn't need? Towing 10,000 pounds in short trips does not need a heavy duty turbodiesel.

Because he can. Go big or GTFO.

Switch
Run 5w40 in winter and 15 summer
I would factory warranty req before trying 5w30 etc.
Avoid extended oci till u can figure out ur engine.

I have fuel dilution issues due to my dpf

Why did get ya get the subi? U could have saved a bunch by getting a used civic?
;-)

That engine is a work of art.

The big question becomes...

If you are buying a RAM 2500, why aren't you buying a Cummins?

There's always one in the crowd.

I think a more pertinent question is:

What's it to you?

Thank you to all the relevant replies.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Because for people that buy based on merits, and not merely want or bravado, the 6.4L Hemi makes a compelling argument for purchase.

Lets take the most popular configuration - Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4:

qAZyXe5.png

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

Notice the Cummins is only available with a 3.42, whereas the Hemi can be optioned with 4.10. Now, take a look at the performance numbers -- Hemi beats the Cummins in every single performance category:

Zero to 60 mph
Zero to 100 mph
Rolling start, 5-60 mph
Top gear, 30-50 mph
Top gear, 50-70 mph
Standing ¼-mile
Top speed

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ram-2500-hd-crew-cab-4x4-diesel-test-review
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ram-2500-hd-crew-cab-4x4-hemi-test-review

Currently, over the standard 5.7:

Hemi is a $1,395 option.
Cummins is $8,795 ($8,195 for engine, $600 for 68RFE transmission) option.

Additional, current fuel prices in my neck of the woods:

89 Octane (preferred fuel choice): $2.33
Diesel: $2.85

So, all else being equal, if we take the average 11 mpg for the Hemi, and 16 mpg for the Cummins (from Car and Driver data), with the average 15k/year:

uV6kHVY.png

It'll take 15 years to break even with the Cummins

Your best bet for good info is cumminsforum.com. Hardly any Prius pushers. The one that do pop up usually get leveled pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Because for people that buy based on merits, and not merely want or bravado, the 6.4L Hemi makes a compelling argument for purchase.

Lets take the most popular configuration - Crew Cab, Short Box, 4x4:

qAZyXe5.png

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

Notice the Cummins is only available with a 3.42, whereas the Hemi can be optioned with 4.10. Now, take a look at the performance numbers -- Hemi beats the Cummins in every single performance category:

Zero to 60 mph
Zero to 100 mph
Rolling start, 5-60 mph
Top gear, 30-50 mph
Top gear, 50-70 mph
Standing ¼-mile
Top speed

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ram-2500-hd-crew-cab-4x4-diesel-test-review
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ram-2500-hd-crew-cab-4x4-hemi-test-review

Currently, over the standard 5.7:

Hemi is a $1,395 option.
Cummins is $8,795 ($8,195 for engine, $600 for 68RFE transmission) option.

Additional, current fuel prices in my neck of the woods:

89 Octane (preferred fuel choice): $2.33
Diesel: $2.85

So, all else being equal, if we take the average 11 mpg for the Hemi, and 16 mpg for the Cummins (from Car and Driver data), with the average 15k/year:

uV6kHVY.png

"Notice the Cummins is only available with a 3.42, whereas the Hemi can be optioned with 4.10. Now, take a look at the performance numbers -- Hemi beats the Cummins in every single performance category:

Zero to 60 mph
Zero to 100 mph
Rolling start, 5-60 mph
Top gear, 30-50 mph
Top gear, 50-70 mph
Standing ¼-mile
Top speed "

Not that its even relevant to my OP. That's why i bought the Diesel. Potential performance. A couple bolt on performance parts and a tune. That hemi will get embarassed.

And it's not just about capacities and numbers. It's how that power gets delivered. The Hemi might be good option. But id rather have the cummins under the hood when towing sleds in the mountains. Foot to the metal up a grade with that gasser screaming, yeah, no thanks, been there, done that.

I own a wrecker service and still have a couple of cummins in the fleet. Im a Förd fan at heart and currently most of my fleet are Fords. The Cummins are nice engines and Rams good trucks. I just like Fords. I'm off topic. I run 15w40 conventional all year around but im in Fl and a cold winters day is 50f. (Jelous?). If I were you I'd run 5w40 all year around. Keep things simple. You hit the nail on the head....I've never seen a HEDO in 5w40 that wasn't a Syn. (Maybe there is I just haven't seen it) Personally I would do 15k or one year. It's hard to say with certantity but I believe the 6mos interval assumes someone w a WORK truck would be idling it a lot if they were not driving the miles. Just a hunch. No proof. I don't see how 12 mos would hurt if you were not hitting 15k by then. My wreckers are abused and run 24/7 and all driving is in town and tons of idling and I run 12k OCIs with conventional 15w40 Mag1. My UOAs are fine so I don't think you need to worry. All the best.

By the way...nothing like buying what you want. I don't "need" 80 percent of what I buy but I want it. I could drive to work in a Smart car or a Ford Fiesta but I don't want too. Im glad you bought a Cummins if you wanted it!!!, enjoy my friend.

Originally Posted By: Rzr67
Anyone have any suggestions on what type of oil I should use? Would rotella tripple t be sufficient? What are peoples thoughts on the amsoil OE or blend?

Buy by price, especially through a distributor. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 or LE 5w-30 at Imperial Oil are about as cheap as conventional is at Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Whatever you choose, watch what you pay. Imperial Oil has good prices, along with SOPUS distributors, and Petro-Canada distributors. I believe Chevron stuff is distributed by Husky in your province, but many trucking shops sell their stuff at a good price. If you're partial to Castrol HDEOs, you'll be mostly stuck with Walmart, since Wakefield distributors aren't as common.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I've been pointing that out ever since they made the 6.4HD engine available last year, though you took the time to prove it with actual numbers and I never did all the calculations. It just seemed pretty obvious that break-even was pretty far away.

That said, there are literally dozens of factors that could tip even a coldly logical buyer either way, let alone personal preference.

OP: You asked about the "M1" in Donald's sig and I never saw an answer: I think it means he's using Rotella T6 oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Op,
M1 = mobil 1
it could be filter or oils.
as mentioned above it is oil filter.
M1 filter is the best value out there if you buy em in dozen from a Mobil dealer (well that is true here in US)

hemi vs diesel

pls look at the torque curve for both

hemi makes max torque at 4400 rpm,

cummins make it around 1400 rpm

my dmax makes 660 lb ft of torque at 1275 rpm,

Yes, diesel does NOT make eco sense with today's gas vs diesel prices, but you don't drop upwards of $50k on a truck because it makes eco sense.

Now that aisin transmission is an options, I might get one myself to add to my harem of trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back