60,000 mile car sat 2008 to 2014- buy or no buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Looking at an auction car. 1998 GM 3.8 3800. I can't drive it but it starts, runs and shifts between park and drive ok. Cold AC. Clear water in radiator expansion tank.
Car fax shows omission check was in 2006 and 2014 so it sat unused from (about) 2007 or 2008 when it would have been required to 2014.

Would you take the shot? Opinions please.
Also with the 3.8 intake gasket issues what coolant would you put in it?

Thanks!

if it's in good shape I would buy it and not think twice.

Change the gaskets and possibly the IMs and replace with Dexcool.

Thanks, I plan on bidding. See what happens.
I got my 100k car there for 800 but since this auction site has been going high, almost to retail. (You would think they are the only place in the US to buy a car)
This car needs a complete paint job.

Use conventional, if it has the Dex cool it can be a pain to flush it all out. IIRC you would have to pull two knock sensors out of the motor to get a good flow of water threw it.

Just make sure to remove all the Dex cool before you put any conventional in it. If not it gels up and gets very hard.

This would be a Series 2 they do have the known Upper lower intake manifold/gasket failure so you will wanna keep an eye on that. Odds are tho with 60k its still in good condition if actually changed it ever so often.

I love thee cars tho, big fan of them. Motors are pretty reliable, however the transmissions can be picky. Not to say they are bad but it would be a good idea to keep up them maintenance on them.

Last edited:
Thanks. Great to know the dex does not mix well.
Been looking for a Rivera but many seem to want 6,000. Not many in my area either.
On the trans, a friend is a tranny guy and he says the fords can be 2,500. What can you do?
I see Toyota's and Honda's with 100k and the ads say needs an engine. I guess any used car has risk.

95% of all used cars at dealers are auction cars. If you ever bought a used car at dealer you could be driving one;)

Sorry you missed out. My dad had a 1997 Buck Riviera that was white and it's paint job looked just as bad as this one's. Not sure what was going on in the paint booth at GM those years. But that car drove like a dream and the GM 3800 was a solid motor. Bought a factory Cadillac strut tower brace for $32 from the dealership and it bolted right on that Buick, sweetest low buck upgrade.

That is what I really want. A Riviera.

Maybe it's for the best. With a minute left it was 1300. The Oldsmobile Eighty Eight had a huge feel to it I didn't like.

When I did the car fax 1G3HN52K1W4839074 it looked like it sat unused for 8 years, was sold and then donated after only 5 months. Not selling to make money. Did he have issues?
That scared me a bit, not so much at 1300. Hard to pass on it at that.
Getting up to 2000. A few issues, all the fluid changes, the side door moulding panel and you are at 2700 for a car that still needs paint.

08/23/2006 43,763 California
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection
09/24/2014 57,611 California
Inspection Station
Poway, CA Passed emissions inspection

Owner 2
Purchased: 2014
Type: Personal
Where: California
Est. length owned: 9/24/14 -
present
(5 months)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
09/24/2014 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Poway, CA Title issued or updated

Last edited:
watch for a re-list if you really want it. Could've just had a bunk bid on it because he didn't want it to sell for so low. It's known to happen though it is unethical.

LOL.... Thanks I will. Seems a bunch from them end up going for a second time.
There is a Saab now for the third time and what baffles me is no bad feedback ever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back