Redline Oil & TEOST ASTM D 6335

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Well, mr. pupy, I don't know if it's in Redline's interest to make a run-of-the-mill street oil with run of the mill ingredients. Who would opt to use it vs going to Wal Mart and grabbing any off the shelf synthetic.
It has to be overbuilt.

Yes, EXACTLY!!

'Loyal' as I may be to RL products (or have been in the past), I would STILL just go to Sino Mart (or NAPA on a sale) and grab the M1 0W-40, and blend it with whatever to get my desired HTHSV, instead of buying a mediocre, watered down, Red Line product.
wink.gif

More is not always better, a simple concept many forget about it.

I did a lot of reading on this board and elsewhere and have more money than brains it seems.Time will tell if the money was wasted. I converted my fleet of 3 vehicles to Red line this summer. Vehicle one is my wife's 2014 Dodge minivan with the Pentastar 3.6 V6 with 35,000 at change. I used a 5W-20 and will go to a 10,000 OCI unless the indicator light says sooner. Over 4,000 miles and the van's average mpg has crept up about 1-2 MPG and it is audibly quieter and smoother sounding. Two 2015 Volkswagen Golf's with the 2.0L TDI's famous for being the smog cheaters. Both are direct injected and turbocharged. They also have high heat cycles when cleaning the DPF. I opted for the 5W-30 Euro spec on these after they had been broken in on factory fill. I could not ascertain any difference in MPG or audible performance as I had no good baseline. I will also do the recommended 10,000 OCI on these two cars. I plan on keeping them for the loooong haul and wanted a bit better oil for these long change intervals. I also wanted the pourability at extremely cold temperatures we see here in Wyoming. BUMP

Originally Posted By: sloinker
I did a lot of reading on this board and elsewhere and have more money than brains it seems.Time will tell if the money was wasted. I converted my fleet of 3 vehicles to Red line this summer. Vehicle one is my wife's 2014 Dodge minivan with the Pentastar 3.6 V6 with 35,000 at change. I used a 5W-20 and will go to a 10,000 OCI unless the indicator light says sooner. Over 4,000 miles and the van's average mpg has crept up about 1-2 MPG and it is audibly quieter and smoother sounding. Two 2015 Volkswagen Golf's with the 2.0L TDI's famous for being the smog cheaters. Both are direct injected and turbocharged. They also have high heat cycles when cleaning the DPF. I opted for the 5W-30 Euro spec on these after they had been broken in on factory fill. I could not ascertain any difference in MPG or audible performance as I had no good baseline. I will also do the recommended 10,000 OCI on these two cars. I plan on keeping them for the loooong haul and wanted a bit better oil for these long change intervals. I also wanted the pourability at extremely cold temperatures we see here in Wyoming. BUMP

Quite possible. How do you know that with the 10,000 mile OCI an appropriately rated M1 or Castrol product wouldn't work just as well for less money?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: sloinker

Quite possible. How do you know that with the 10,000 mile OCI an appropriately rated M1 or Castrol product wouldn't work just as well for less money?

I don't know that. Just assumptions and guessing I suppose. I like the idea of extended drain intervals and hope the boutique oil will allow them without any premature wear on the engines. I suppose if I was truly dedicated and cared more about the money i could start doing the lab testing on the Red Line and maybe hop back to the factory fill for comparison but it seems like too much effort and time for the price differences between oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back