Dodge Caravan Hood Corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is more of a heads up to Dodge Caravan owners. I have a 2010 Grand Caravan with only 45,000 miles on it in very good shape. While waxing the van and cleaning the engine compartment, I observed bubbling all across the front edge of the hood where the metal wraps around. Upon taking the van to the dealer, the dealer said they have seen this alot. I still have the 5 year 100,000 mile corrosion warranty and without question, Chrysler is replacing the hood under warranty. Needless to say I was quite pleased! If you have a 5th gen Caravan/Town & Country and still under the 5 year/100K corrosion warranty, pop the hood and check the underside of the front edge for bubbles!

Originally Posted By: guyonearth
Mine is already corroded through, but it is out of warranty. Seems like this is a bad spot on a lot of cars.

I'd still contact Chrysler to see if they are willing to work with you. Either repairing it, or a good discount on the work.

I had a '01 Dodge truck that was out of warranty, and they goodwilled a cracked dash for $50 out of my pocket. Chrysler is very good about this type of thing.

If you dont have any luck with the Chrysler 1-800 number, I would recommend talking with the Service Manager at your local dealer. The Manager at my dealer was well aware of this issue and took pictures and emailed them to Chrysler, we had a response back from Chrysler within 10 minutes to replace the hood.

see what the dealer will do if they do nothing chech with a lemon law attorney- for free...100%free! You may be getting cash or a new free van if they win,

Go over the rest of it with a fine tooth comb, you might find more rust that they'll take care of.

Rust areas:
* Hood - front edge
* Tailgate - along bottom
* Doors - bottom edge

I fill those areas with Fluid Film (aerosol can).
It's good at 'creeping'
Come Spring time, I have to wipe it off the outer painted areas.

Fluid Film - Inside
Wax - Outside
= no rust (well, a minimum)

Last edited:
My 2001 Camry is still rust free as well as my Dakota, waxed once every two years if lucky, our 1991 Caravan never rusted either, I think it's a very specific defect in this case.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Rust areas:
* Hood - front edge
* Tailgate - along bottom
* Doors - bottom edge

I fill those areas with Fluid Film (aerosol can).
It's good at 'creeping'
Come Spring time, I have to wipe it off the outer painted areas.

Fluid Film - Inside
Wax - Outside
= no rust (well, a minimum)
I like fluid film to, but it does tend to thicken when below 75 degrees, I have a gallon of it but am afraid to use it where it might clog a drain area like rocker panels.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
My 2001 Camry is still rust free as well as my Dakota, waxed once every two years if lucky, our 1991 Caravan never rusted either, I think it's a very specific defect in this case.

I think it is, too. The 4th generation vans (2001-2007) had this problem as well. The 3rd generation vans (1996-2000) had specific rust problems with the strut towers. It's likely to do with how the metal is formed at the factory and the specific corrosion protection applied. Many vehicles have exposed front hood edges, and few have this very specific type of rusting problem.

I suppose you could call it rust, but the hoods on 2010+ Grand Caravans are aluminum. I'm not sure if it's a dissimilar metal corrosion situation on them if it's just the crayola paint.

It could have been a certain run of them (or a Friday at the factory), that's what warranties are for. they should be happy to fix it.

I resurrected this thread , which I found on a Google search after noticing the hood corrosion on one of our vans in the fleet.
I went out and checked all 7 -2015 Caravans we have and 4 of them have pretty major bubbling of the paint on the leading edge of the hoods.
I can't believe this, all are under 40,000 miles and on 4 year lease till this summer.
If you have one of these keep a close eye and get it fixed before warranty is up.

Our 2013 Grand Caravan started to corrode on the leading edge of the hood within a few years. The paint was bubbled slightly in areas on the leading edge of the hood when we traded it in, in 2017 with ~75K miles on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Spray some WD40 or Fluid Film or even garage door lube from the inside of the hood using various holes that are there and the problem will be non-existent.

That won't help. The paint is bubbling up on the outside. there is no corrosion on the underside and spraying anything would not reach that area anyway.

Originally Posted by bradepb
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Spray some WD40 or Fluid Film or even garage door lube from the inside of the hood using various holes that are there and the problem will be non-existent.

That won't help. The paint is bubbling up on the outside. there is no corrosion on the underside and spraying anything would not reach that area anyway.

Tell that to my 2006 Mazda 3 hood, that despite numerous stone chips that I cannot keep up repairing, has absolutely no rust. Once you see the bubbling outside, means the inside is all chewed up. Grand Caravan's hood will act the same, despite being aluminum. My guess is that the paint/primer is very thin in that area. Introduce annual salt exposure and the aluminum will start to oxidize which results in bubbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back