Anyone use a fumoto valve on their transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Toyota Highlander. I was considering installing a fumoto valve on my transmission pan. I need to crawl under and get a better look, but it appears that there is a plastic cover underneath with a small hole where you can see the AT drain plug. If it is recessed far enough, I'm thinking a fumoto with a short nipple (so I can attach a tube) would be a great way to do drains/fills without having to remove the large plastic cover. I've asked around and apparently the factory drain plugs are not magnetic, so I'm not losing anything there.

Questions for the board:
1) Does anyone out there use a fumoto valve for their ATs? I have them on the oil pans of both of my cars and LOVE the convenience. I've had them in service for over 10 years and they have never caused be a problem.
2) Does *anyone* out there have any clue what size valve would fit a 2012 Toyota Highlander (with the 3.5L v6) automatic transmission pan? I emailed fumoto and they didn't have that information.

Thanks!

On a Highlander I wouldn't bother, dumping a couple quarts out ATF of my Camry is easy enough, and you have all the ground clearance you need. How often does one need to dump the ATF fluid?

Last edited:
why?

How often (and why) you want to drain the ATF off of your trannie?

Are you towing something all day long? Every 3k miles?

Q.

I plan to do it every 30K miles. Granted, it isn't that often, but that equates to every couple of years. I just would love to avoid take the large plastic underbody cover off each time. Maybe I'll just use a fluid pump instead of draining.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I have a 2012 Toyota Highlander. I was considering installing a fumoto valve on my transmission pan. I need to crawl under and get a better look, but it appears that there is a plastic cover underneath with a small hole where you can see the AT drain plug. If it is recessed far enough, I'm thinking a fumoto with a short nipple (so I can attach a tube) would be a great way to do drains/fills without having to remove the large plastic cover. I've asked around and apparently the factory drain plugs are not magnetic, so I'm not losing anything there.

Questions for the board:
1) Does anyone out there use a fumoto valve for their ATs? I have them on the oil pans of both of my cars and LOVE the convenience. I've had them in service for over 10 years and they have never caused be a problem.
2) Does *anyone* out there have any clue what size valve would fit a 2012 Toyota Highlander (with the 3.5L v6) automatic transmission pan? I emailed fumoto and they didn't have that information.

Thanks!
My ex had a 2005 Highlander, an abused 250,000 miles and it still ran and drove like a Lexus, great suv.

I plan to do it every 30K miles. Granted, it isn't that often, but that equates to every couple of years. I just would love to avoid take the large plastic underbody cover off each time. Maybe I'll just use a fluid pump instead of draining.
Do you know the % of ATF you can achieve with a simple drain from ATF plug?

It should work fine, your biggest problem will be finding the right size for your pan. I even checked Rockauto and they don't specify a replacement transmission drain plug for your application. Maybe try calling a local parts store and ask for a replacement transmission drain plug then ask what size their computer says it is.

Originally Posted By: zach1900

Depending upon how much the pan drains, here are his transmission full capacity.

Automatic Transmission, U151E Initial Fill..........9.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, U151F Initial Fill..........9.5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed U151E..........9.3 quarts
5 speed U151F..........9.5 quarts

One of the manuals from that year range says 3.7 quarts per pan drain but most users report 4 coming out.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Depending upon how much the pan drains, here are his transmission full capacity.

The Amsoil website has the info.

Automatic Transmission, U151E Initial Fill..........9.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, U151F Initial Fill..........9.5 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed U151E..........9.3 quarts
5 speed U151F..........9.5 quarts

One of the manuals from that year range says 3.7 quarts per pan drain but most users report 4 coming out.

On a Highlander with under 30,000 miles you'll never need a flush if you do a drain and fill once a year.

On a Highlander with under 30,000 miles you'll never need a flush if you do a drain and fill once a year.

Right--that's the plan. I don't want to fool with flushes. I'm just hoping to freshen it up every 30K miles. I have 28K on it now.

Hello, Aside from any vulnerability question a valve would present, you'd lose the velocity created by the big drain hole.
I'd keep it simple and buy a drain plug with a magnet. Kira

Two of my vehicles have automatic transmissions and both have a Fumoto drain valve installed where the drain bolt goes since I change the transmission fluid every 15K miles.

Neither of these vehicles are Toyotas. I got the bolt/Fumoto size from a friend with the same vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Aside from any vulnerability question a valve would present, you'd lose the velocity created by the big drain hole.
I'd keep it simple and buy a drain plug with a magnet. Kira
Never thought of that scenario, good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back