Heater hoses (the quiet time bomb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was a professional wrench, I remember I was one of the few techs who would recommend changing heater hoses when I changed radiator hoses. Some customers yelled at me thinking I was trying to gouge them for extra labor and parts that were not needed. I think heater hoses should always be changed when radiator hoses are replaced as the results of a blown heater hose are the same as a blown radiator hose.

I was mad when I went in for "all hoses" and the heater and bypass hoses weren't done.

This was before my current lax approach based on anecdata from years of driving beaters. Keep oil off and they'll last the life of the car.

The real time bombs are tranny cooler lines inside radiators, that rust out and let coolant into the transmission without any external leak. That'll get expensive, quickly.

Yep! Change all the rubber that's under coolant pressure at the same time. If one hose needs to be changed, then the others are in similar condition even though you might not be able to see it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kool1
When I was a professional wrench, I remember I was one of the few techs who would recommend changing heater hoses when I changed radiator hoses. Some customers yelled at me thinking I was trying to gouge them for extra labor and parts that were not needed. I think heater hoses should always be changed when radiator hoses are replaced as the results of a blown heater hose are the same as a blown radiator hose.

Just recommend, make a note of it if they refuse.

I've had hoses that lasted from factory to junkyard, and others that blew while on the road. Some of it is how much oil and heat the hose is subjected to throughout its lifetime, some the quality of manufacture, how that all plays out through its lifetime is a matter of chance.

Here's my take on it: if you have an iron/aluminum engine, or any engine with a known vulnerability to damage if overheated, replace all the coolant hoses once a decade and inspect often. If the vehicle driver has a very low tolerance for breakdowns, replace all the coolant hoses once a decade and inspect often. If you drive an old iron block V8 and don't care about occasional breakdowns, do whatever makes you happy.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Kool1

Just recommend, make a note of it if they refuse.

I've had hoses that lasted from factory to junkyard, and others that blew while on the road. Some of it is how much oil and heat the hose is subjected to throughout its lifetime, some the quality of manufacture, how that all plays out through its lifetime is a matter of chance.

Here's my take on it: if you have an iron/aluminum engine, or any engine with a known vulnerability to damage if overheated, replace all the coolant hoses once a decade and inspect often. If the vehicle driver has a very low tolerance for breakdowns, replace all the coolant hoses once a decade and inspect often. If you drive an old iron block V8 and don't care about occasional breakdowns, do whatever makes you happy.

Now on a boat, those hoses supply cooling water to the exhaust!

When the 510 Datsun's were still around I made money buying used ones and fixing them up for sale. There was a small hose under the intake manifold that supplied hot coolant to the base of the carb. It would never get changed and when it failed so did the engine. That feature was like money in the bank for me.

Small diameter hoses don't need to be changed very often but when they fail it can be real trouble.

Hello, Tell me about it. I have not been able to get ANY input from ANYONE regarding hose life expectancy.
WHAT I UNDERSTAND:
1) Hoses are MUCH BETTER now-a-days. That's good.
2) When a monkey at a Volvo dealership's used car section told me they NEVER change them, I didn't doubt him.

WHAT I KNOW:
1) Rubber is a concoction which can easily vary. This amplifies 'risk gamble'.
2) Wall thickness is 1/8" to 3/16". How tough can it be?
3) Cars run hotter now-a-days (pretty sure). That equals more stress, no?

WHAT I'VE EXPERIENCED:
1) A small bypass hose in an old Toyota I had blew in a tunnel and fried an exhaust valve(see Jack's wee hose above). Don't remember age or mileage.
2) I replaced all hoses in my sister's Jeep at 150K and 13 years of age. They "looked OK" under the hood.
They looked like aged garbage under direct sunlight as I cleaned up. The new ones look FANTASTIC.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
1) While selling a Caprice Classic for a neighbor I refrained from driving the car around to my usual display places.
The 18 year old hoses had greyed and collapsed wretchedly upon squeezing. I was reluctant to even move the vehicle. I told the buyer to make hoses his first job.
2) At 181K and 13 years of age, I purchased all hoses for my car. They do not seem horrible at this time.
They go on real soon with new coolant.
Upper and lower radiator from Gates.
Heater hoses (they have special fittings) from Volvo NOT Uro. Kira

I'm at 18 years and 275,000 miles on the original hoses... I'll post when she blows!

What make vehicle (assuming OE)? What brand hoses if not?
You'll post after she blows AND after you're done swearing, being towed and assessing the damage.
Who loves ya, baby? Kira

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Heater hoses often blow before the radiator hoses do.

I experienced this exact scenario in my LS400. Two of more than 4-5 heater hoses blown at around 100-120k miles while the upper radiator hose didn't until 300+k miles, the lower radiator hose is original.

On the '98 Chevy Cavalier I had with 359,000 miles, I drove it from '98 to '13 and it had the original heater hoses on it the entire time. Never a single problem.

However, when I bought my Focus, since I didn't know the history of the car, I replaced those hoses when I pulled the intake manifold off and had easy access. They seemed to be in excellent condition, but I didn't want to risk them giving out 1,000 miles away from home.

Lucky for me, I've never experienced a bad heater hose, but preventive measures aren't a bad idea. Especially on a used vehicle with an unknown history or in an environment where the conditions might be a little rougher on the rubber hoses.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I'm at 18 years and 275,000 miles on the original hoses... I'll post when she blows!

I'm with you on this.
We've driven cars from cradle to grave on the original hoses.
The last hose that I had fail in service was the upper radiator hose on my MGB sometime back in the early eighties.
We were on back roads ( maybe RT 42) going south from Lexington (Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, a race weekend) when the hose let go.
I limped the car into the next town by running the engine briefly, so as not to overheat it badly, and then coasting along.
I repeated this proceedure until we reached a small town.
It was early evening on a Sunday, but this was an era when real service stations still existed. The small town had one with a nice selection of hoses, one of which looked like it would work. I installed it with the minimal tool kit I always kept in the B, filled the radiator with coolant, and we went on our merry way for the 180 or so miles home.
Since the car was an MGB, anything OEM outside of the engine, gearbox and rear end was of suspect quality. I could also tell some tales about the wonky electrics and hydraulics, but that would be way OT. I will say that these were simple machines and pretty easy to work on with good parts availability even today.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Heater hoses often blow before the radiator hoses do.

Absolutely agree. 100%.

In fact, with cars made in the last decade plus, a bad radiator hose is kind of unusual. EPDM hoses really last a long time.

Often, it's not the actual hose material that fails either, it is the hard plastic fittings and such that join hoses that leak. Heater hoses tend to have more of these. They often aren't sold separate from the entire hose assembly.

I sell FAR more heater hoses than radiator hoses. Like 10 to 1.

I don't know that I'd replace a modern heater hose as PM though, unless there is an improved design, or they are a known weak point after a particular time frame on a particular model.

Last edited:
Whenever I buy a car (used, of course), I always change out the heater hoses. Cheap insurance.

On my 3.8 Ciera I did all of the hoses... so many of them, pipe to heater, in to out, out to in... and the little ones on the throttle body, can't forget those.

I had a heater hose pop on me once ('84 Cutlass Supreme) on the Belt Parkway out here in Brooklyn, not fun!
I managed to limp over to the gas station before it over-heated... Highway tows are not cheap.

Y'all have forgotten the best part about changing heater hoses, when you take off the hose clamp and you twist the hose to get it off the heater nipple and the nipple twists with the hose and you have to replace the heater core. I only did this once before I started cutting the hoses off the nipples. I have never had a radiator hose fail but I've had heater hoses and thermostat by-pass hoses fail.

This is very true. My friend experienced it twice on his 96 civic with like 300k miles....Because of this, i replaced all my heater core hoses, bypass hose, some other misc coolant hoses when i did my timing belt. Cheap insurance.

My 21 year-old Corrado's heater hose frightens me. That's why I keep a length of hose in the trunk that allows me to bypass the heater core in a pinch, should the heater core or a heater core hose fail.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back