Sportster Primary....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading here and on xlforum until my eyes bleed. Im wondering what Sportser owners are using in the primary? Id like to go with a Mobil or Valvoline gear oil, but curious what real world experience says.

you don't say what sportster you have, but Amsoil 20-50 premium synthetic worked well in my 06 1200, tried Redline gear oil MTL in the primary + felt it was a little better. our air cooled V-twins need quality real group IV + V oil IMO. in my 20,000 mile ownership i never added a drop between yearly changes.

My buddy uses Mobil 1 15w-50 in his primary and engine. He seems to like it. Note, he's got an '07 Roadglide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
I have a 06 883......

Isn't the primary combined with the transmission on the 883?

On all the evo sportsters it has a combined trans and primary.

It is unlikely that you will get a consensus on this.

There is a VOA here on Formula+ that suggest it has properties similar to a 50wt engine oil with relatively few additives.

There was some discussion on here saying that a standard VOA would not reveal mineral vs synthetic, but is probably safe to assume if it does not say synthetic all over it, it probably is not.

I'm not convinced VOAs/UOAs are telling us a great deal at the consumer grade level. There are a couple (at least) engines that turned in good UOAs right up until they blew up.

If you peruse the big old internet you will find people running "oil" and "gear lube" in sportsters. if you take out the ones using GL5 that is not yellow metal safe you'll find negligible failures...

The first time I changed mine I believe it had gear oil in it from smell and appearance, I have since run T6 and it presently has M1 4T 10-40 in it. I'll probably just dump M1 V-Twin in it next time...

It definitely has less cold creep and an easier shift with "oil" in it.

There are a couple of "Sport Trans" fluids out there.

I had a Buell Blast for a while (basically a single-cylinder EVO engine)...I had the dealer use H-D Syn 3 20w-50 in both sumps; my plan for service (if I had kept it)...Mobil 1 20w-50 syn MC oil or Mobil 1 15w-50 syn oil in the trans/primary (5000 mile OCI) and a good quality 20w-50 conventional MC oil in the engine (2500 mile OCI)

97 1200 Sportster.
I been using Amsoil 20w-50 (both holes) for about 4 years or so.
I'm on the last jug and will probably try the VR-1 next fill (both holes).
Although I don't ride it often anymore, I took it for a spin yesterday since temps reached into the 80s. Sure was nice out for the ride.

I would not use gear lube in the Sportster primary/transmission combination, as the copper wound stator is in there and some gear oils are not kind to copper/brass.

We run Rotella 15W-40 in our two. Have used that for years.

You should run what will make you sleep well at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back