Sparkplug 2007 Ford Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed my plugs and have to admit that this is the worst plug design ever.

The plugs are comprised of two pieces and the sleeve portion would get stuck in the head during removal. I had to purchase a special plug removal tool to retrieve the sleeve section.

I followed Ford's updated service manual which involves spraying the plugs with break cleaner to help loosen the sleeve.

I think Champion makes a one piece plug. I will probably change to these in the future.

/end rant

Autolite makes the plugs for this car.

Stick with that or motorcraft OEM.

Use the proper torque spec as well, and do it while the engine is stone cold.

You do not want to do a timecert on a stripped plug hole.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

The "newer style" plugs break off in the head as described by the OP. It's the plugs from the 2V, older Modular engines, that would sometimes eject themselves, taking the threads in the head with them. Ford did correct both designs, but it took them years to do so in both cases.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: JustinH

The "newer style" plugs break off in the head as described by the OP. It's the plugs from the 2V, older Modular engines, that would sometimes eject themselves, taking the threads in the head with them. Ford did correct both designs, but it took them years to do so in both cases.

Whimsey
That has to be an interesting story.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
I think Champion makes a one piece plug. I will probably change to these in the future. /end rant

Why would you want to stick to a one-piece plug when they gave you so many problems? I remember reading in the TSB that Ford recommended to switch them out as soon as possible to avoid carbon buildup and also go to the more traditional two-piece plugs.

You would think since Ford has been building V8's since the 30's they would have them figured out by now.

The 5.4 is a [censored] motor, I know three that blew.

Last edited:
Rule #1 with 4.6/5.4...dont ever change plugs unless absolutely needed\causing problems...I own 7 of them
smile.gif
.have a nice day.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Is this issue with the spark plugs affecting newer models also? Vehicle in question: 2014 F150 FX4

No; Ford re-designed the heads in late 2007.

Hello, Could someone please explain what "two piece plugs" are if at all possible?
Sparky-poos haven't changed in 80 years. Why now?
Is the sleeve portion more like a heat shield?

I will look on RockAuto as well as Google it to see.

Super odd and stupid for any car company to complicate spark plug design or create installation difficulties.

Also, the blowing out of plugs I've read about....who are these fools?

My friend bought a 1997 F-150 with the 4.6 last year with 50K. Trying to learn about the truck. Kira

I know of people who sprayed carb cleaner into the spark plug holes & used a battery powered impact gun with great success in removing these problematic plugs.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Is this issue with the spark plugs affecting newer models also? Vehicle in question: 2014 F150 FX4

Thank you; Ford dealer suggested changing plugs at 70k Kms. Good idea?

Manual suggests 160k Kms.

Asking for a friend.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Could someone please explain what "two piece plugs" are if at all possible?

Super odd and stupid for any car company to complicate spark plug design or create installation difficulties.

My friend bought a 1997 F-150 with the 4.6 last year with 50K. Trying to learn about the truck. Kira

I think the spark plug threads are longer; that's all. So when they are being removed they twist, break and separate, just a thought.

Also; there was an issue with the plugs backing off after installation IIRC (in and around 1997 with V8's only). Personally I only saw it once; damaged the COP also.

Could be installer error or design though, not sure.

Originally Posted By: Kira

The launching plugs are on any '03 or older 2V modular including the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.8L V10. There are only three threads holding the plugs in the heads and when you change them the threads get damaged and then the plug can later eject with the threads. Usually the plug backs out a bit first and you'll hear what sounds like an exhaust leak. It isn't. Sometimes you can get away with re-torquing the plug that has backed out, other times, it'll later eject. I've had both happen. #4 (worst plug on the engine) which has the rear A/C and heater lines running over top of it (which drops condensation down on it, which doesn't help) came out on me, so I put it back in. 30 days later it dramatically launched. I had another plug on the engine get a tad loose (#6 IIRC) but it torqued back down fine and it has been years. All the plugs were changed at the same time and torqued to the value prescribed by Ford.

The 2V is generally bulletproof aside from this issue.

The 3V, which came later, has a unique spark plug design due to the plug's location. It has a long "reach" into the combustion chamber, which required the bottom part of the plug to be extended:

401546a_2.jpg

The extended part on this particular plug had a tendency to accumulate carbon on its shank, seizing it in the head. When you went to remove the plug, the threaded portion came out, but the lower portion broke off and remained in the head.

The Champion "one piece" plug mentioned earlier in the thread looks like this:

cpn-7989_w.jpg

And doesn't suffer from the same issue. I believe the Motorcraft plugs were also redesigned to alleviate it.

The 3V is also notorious for cam phaser noise but this is generally regarded as a nuisance and doesn't affect the longevity of the engine, despite hattaresguy's post. He has an obvious disdain for the engine family which doesn't reflect their actual service life.

Both issues can be seriously annoying/inconvenient, but once fixed, the engines generally live extremely long lives. Unless of course you are GHT and thin a 0w-20 down with 25% solvent, beat on it like a red-headed step child and then act surprised when you cook a rod bearing
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

Why would you want to stick to a one-piece plug when they gave you so many problems? I remember reading in the TSB that Ford recommended to switch them out as soon as possible to avoid carbon buildup and also go to the more traditional two-piece plugs.

You have that backwards. The original plugs that are known for breaking are the 2 piece plugs. The revised plugs in the TSB are one piece.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Thank you; Ford dealer suggested changing plugs at 70k Kms. Good idea? Manual suggests 160k Kms. Asking for a friend.

I changed the plugs changed in my 2010 FX4 at 200,000Kms (Ford recommended 160,000Kms as you noted). There were no issues with the change so I feel comfortable in saying he can go the full 160,000Kms before changing them. You can see photos of sparkplugs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back