Starting to burn oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a bit of a lurker don't post just browse a bit.I took a brief browse looking for some answers but I'm still a little lost. I have an 03 Silverado 2500 with a 6.0 gas. I am starting to use a little more oil than I should be. Roughly 1-2 quarts in 850 mile road trip. I was hauling about 6000lbs and with 4.10 gears my rpm is about 2300. I get no smoke at start up and do leak a little, I am going to clean up the engine and monitor that better. I have just over 200,000 miles and about 8500hrs run time. My questions are is there a huge difference in 5-30 oils such as Penzoil,Quaker State,Valvoline or Castrol. I get the difference between synthetic and high mileage oils but how about the basics. I'm also considering an additive to maybe condition/help my valve seals. I'm not expecting miracles just a little prolonged life from this engine before I swap in another.One of the local mechanics mentioned a flush with Seafoam in the oil then an STP additive, not sure which one however I will need to confirm which one.

That consumption is a bit high. You are a good candidate for MaxLife 10-30 in the summer, and MaxLife 5-30 in your winter.

The MaxLife is all you need. Skip the additives. Your truck still has a long, long way to go.

Hello,

First, you're in the HDEO oil section, and it doesn't look like or do you reference HDEO, so it may get moved to another section.

I have a 2003 5.3L Gas Sierra I bought new, now with 200,000 miles. It burns no oil, not even in a 7k mile oil change interval.

How bad is the leak? I'd highly suggest you get that under control first so you can then correctly identify how much it's burning after that.
thumbsup2.gif

I was thinking of a high mileage oil, however I have at least two changes worth of Valvoline and Castrol sitting in the garage, I guess that could go in my wifes van or my yard truck...

Last edited:
If it was me I'd stick some 5/10w30 Maxlife in there to condition the seals and drop a bottle of MoS2 in there too. MoS2 tends to fill wear gaps in your engine which reduced oil consumption in my engine from 1qt every 5,000 miles to absolutely nothing and all I did was add Liqui Moly MoS2. Has plenty of other benefits too which you really notice in a higher mileage engine
I could guarantee this combo would at least half your oil consumption like it has done for me on extreme oil burners before

Could your recent oil consumption simply be your engine burning off the contaminants built up over the fall / winter from short trips....thus creating a false condition where it is burning more oil than it actually is?

Either way, try a 30-weight HM oil for a couple OCI's and report back.

Not huge differences but differences none-the-less. Skip the additives. Definitely use an HM oil. You'll need to have other Canadians chime in what oil to buy at the appropriate cost point. Many parrots here in the US will recite a scripted response w/o taking into account where you live and what the oils will cost you. Some of these guys will confidently recommend an oil but couldn't point to Manitoba on a map.

I would also try Maxlife since I had great luck with it. Many others on here have enjoyed the same success. But with the high consumption/leak you are experiencing you may want to check some other stuff.

Disclaimer: I have zero idea what oil costs in Canada but I used to own a 2003 2500hd with the 6.0 and I know exactly where Manitoba is.

For oil to burn it has to get into the combustion chamber, either past the guides, stem seals, rings or PCV. Leak down and compression numbers should tell you whats occuring

There are a lot of expensive things you could do, and a lot of less expensive ones.

GM top end cleaner can free a stuck ring pack.

Some leaks are cheap to fix, like valve covers, and some are more expensive like oil pan and rear main. New parts are better, but a seal sweller may be effective.

Rod

Use 10W-40 MaxLife blend for a while. Dragging 6000 lbs, I'd use a lower gear if you're currently using overdrive. I always used 3rd gear when towing heavy in my big block Suburban, also with a 4.10 gear. It was very happy spinning 3000 RPM going down the highway. 200k miles is way too early to think about changing engines.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
That consumption is a bit high. You are a good candidate for MaxLife 10-30 in the summer, and MaxLife 5-30 in your winter.

The MaxLife is all you need. Skip the additives. Your truck still has a long, long way to go.

+1

Use the Valvoline and Castrol you already have as top up oil since the HM oil isn't going to fix it overnight.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

+1

Use the Valvoline and Castrol you already have as top up oil since the HM oil isn't going to fix it overnight.

+2 10w30 Maxlife

also i was told in order to maintain the benefits of high mileage oils you should continue to use them for the life of the vehicle
i have always used hm oil on all my cars leaking or not

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
If it was me I'd stick some 5/10w30 Maxlife in there to condition the seals and drop a bottle of MoS2 in there too. MoS2 tends to fill wear gaps in your engine which reduced oil consumption in my engine from 1qt every 5,000 miles to absolutely nothing and all I did was add Liqui Moly MoS2. Has plenty of other benefits too which you really notice in a higher mileage engine
I could guarantee this combo would at least half your oil consumption like it has done for me on extreme oil burners before
MOS whatever soesn't do much good for valve seals or fouled up PCV systems, which you ought to check.

Originally Posted By: jacky
also i was told in order to maintain the benefits of high mileage oils you should continue to use them for the life of the vehicle
i have always used hm oil on all my cars leaking or not

You can switch back and forth with no ill effects. When my old Acura started leaking from the oil pan gasket, I ran Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic and it stopped the leak after about 3,000 miles or so. I went back to using a regular full synthetic afterwards and the leak didn't come back, even after 2 more oil changes. The Firebird I bought last year leaked when I bought it and I ran some high mileage oil in it as well and it stopped the leak. Now that it stopped, I'm planning on going back to a non-HM for my next oil change. If the leaks come back, I'll switch back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back