4 different tires on one vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would always be prepared.

Just think you have a wet performance tire for the storms, a snow tire for the ice, a mud tire in case you ever find yourself in 3 feet of mud and a racing slick just in case you ever get chased down a drag strip by some bad guys.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For beat up cars with mostly city driving ? No problem.

True, couldn't tell you how many times iv seen people go to used tire places for a single tire.

A long while ago I knew a guy who lived in a bad section of town. I guess he had his tires slashed a few times so he'd tell me about running down to the junkyard to get another tire for $15. They might have all been different. The real issue is that with different amounts of tread and different patterns, probably one tire is going to lose traction before another so it's a little riskier driving it.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
You would always be prepared.

Just think you have a wet performance tire for the storms, a snow tire for the ice, a mud tire in case you ever find yourself in 3 feet of mud and a racing slick just in case you ever get chased down a drag strip by some bad guys.

+1 that's whats up

You shouldn't have any problems for normal driving. Unless you mix tires with an asymetric tread pattern on the front axle, buy you should notice something wrong with the wat it steers right away.

Claud.

I have 4 different tires on both of my vehicles.

Well, I could probably get away with only one tire on the Jeep; it has load range E tires that are rated for the weight of the vehicle.

But they do drive better when there are 4 tires, not one.

Hello,
An experiment:
Get a driver who's proficient at "drifting".
Get him to execute the same drift on the same road 15 times.
Put 4 unmatched tires on the same car and do it again.
See how the car reacts. Kira

In heavy rain, ice,snow or other slippery condition it could be tricky to recover the vehicle(esp FWD) if the traction differs enough between tires.

You won't know till it happens or never. A test could be heavy braking in wet conditions and see if goes in one direction easily. If a modern car with stability control it can help mask the effect. An older vehicle it may be prominent.

I do it in the summer. It's great. I'm rich. I never drive to the limits of traction anyway.

Sadly my neon only has three different brands of summer tire. They're all the same size, tread depth, and approximate stickiness. None are directional/ assymetrical/ otherwise funky. The matched pair goes on the front axle. Paid $60 for all four. Mounted myself with heavy iron from harbor freight.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Did you check the spare?

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

i have 3 different tires on 1 car
i wont throw out good tires in order to get a matching set
car drives fine

Last time I was in Bermuda the max speed limit was 25 mph. I suspect four tires of the same overall type from different makers would be no problem there.

We actually have some decent used tire places here in the South Richmond area. There's Waller's in Chester as well as others I can't remember the names of. I just get new tires when I need tires, but my mother in law had a Michelin go bad on her Cadillac, and they matched her with an exact used tire except it was almost new for treadwear. But as far as the OP's question (I know, I can get to rambling at times), I would say like the others said if the treadwear is similar, I don't see any major issues at all.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello,
An experiment:
Get a driver who's proficient at "drifting".
Get him to execute the same drift on the same road 15 times.
Put 4 unmatched tires on the same car and do it again.
See how the car reacts. Kira

I am sure that in driving out on the extreme edge, you would see & feel a difference. How much I am not sure. Interesting for sure but I don't think it would have any correlation to the daily commuter.

Actually, I have had pretty good results with mismatched brands and tread patterns. Of course all sizes are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back