Care and feeding of GM 3.4L LNJ V6? (Equinox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother has a 2007 Equinox. She got it new as a company car; maintenance was by-the-book from the company and contracted out while she used it for work, 2007 to ~2011. When time was up, my parents bought it since they liked it and the depreciated value was favorable, and my dad drove it periodically. She got a subsequent company car and didn't like it (Rav4). So when she retired, she turned that in instead of purchasing it as she planned, and now drives the Equinox daily (or rather weekly, they are retired and don't drive very much as they putter around at home mostly). Other than oil changes when the computer says, nothing has been done to it in a few years. Now with ~99k miles on it.

I need to start maintaining it for them. I've read that the Aisin transmission in it can be fickle, in this application and in Volvos, so I was planning on switching it to a synthetic T-IV compatible fluid and maintaining that. As to the engine, I read it has IM problems. I am wondering what is the best approach to avoiding those? Frequent coolant changes, compounds, or...?

I was planning on using M1 5w-30 HM, which serves me well in other vehicles. Would like to hear thoughts from others with more specific knowledge of these engines and transmissions and how to avoid problems with them.

Climate is the PNW - so it is rarely, if ever, exposed to or driven below 35F or above 80F.

Last edited:
Coolant changes are a great idea and I'd use the ginger root sealer tabs. Get them from the dealer to be sure.

I would have a UOA done to see if the intake gaskets are leaking (which was common on 60* GM V6s).

On the A/T I would use Castrol IMV which is available at WM, PB etc...and is closer to T-IV in viscosity than Maxlife.

PS: Ditto on the sealing tabs....Barleaks are rumored to be identical to GM's and cheaper.

Originally Posted By: pbm

On the A/T I would use Castrol IMV which is available at WM, PB etc...and is closer to T-IV in viscosity than Maxlife.

Roger that. I use Mag1 synthetic or Castrol synth. multi when I can find it to get closer to T-IV native viscosity; we have a lexus that uses T-IV.

Thanks for the tip about the tabs, eljefino; not familiar with those and will give it a prescribed dose of that. I was thinking drain and fill every two years (since mileage will be low) to refresh additives in the coolant. I don't know anything really about dex-cool, just any brand like Zerex, Peak, etc. that is Dex-cool compatible, or is there a 'preferred' type? I imagine not since there are GM standards to be met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back