Local solar farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Long as the only person that you fry is a member of your own family, all OK with me.

Yea, Maybe you can electrocute some poor animals with solar cells to prove how dangerous green power is, like Edison did with AC.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Long as the only person that you fry is a member of your own family, all OK with me.

Yea, Maybe you can electrocute some poor animals with solar cells to prove how dangerous green power is, like Edison did with AC.

Grow up turtle...the proponent is backfeeding his house, using wall plugs.

Electricians and emergency services personnel are expecting to have an infeed from the grid, or a dirty great big red solar Isolator (with the OC voltage and max current) when they attend a situation, not some system plugged into a wall socket and backfeeding.

It's on the wrong side of any RCD.

As an Electrical Engineer, I'm surpised that you endorse systems like this...but you are, so go figure.

Piece by piece...

All of OZ can be considered an electrical island. It's all relative. You're whole system is puny compared to here. If we ever got 1 hz below 60 it'd be because the zombie apocalypse. The big boys have spinning reserve, ie a GT or other plant that is connected but generating almost nothing so there is no multi minute lag.

If that's the case, then your (made up) problems with coal would be exaccerbated, not made easier.

And if your premise of spinning, unloaded GTs in readiness were true, they'd obviously be there and spinning in Oz...because out island is that much worse, isn't it ?...

...and they aren't.

and the 2Hz band that I quoted is the "must stay in and loaded range", for the grid to still be there...haven't seen a 10th of a Hz the last two years I've been looking.

I think you'd agree some large steam turbines do not like being in certain frequency zones below their nominal design which makes it dangerous for the turbine. We've seen cracks in shafts here when operating turbines in rough zones for too long.

Yes, thy are designed around operating frequency, they are designed to be above the first shaft critical, and below the second...the blades are designed similarly.

the 2Hz off frequency would be hard on the machines, and is the system "must stay in service" range to keep the grid up in an emergency...lifetime of the machines at 48Hz off frequency operation is months, not 250,000 hours + life managament.

From a ramping standpoint boilers do not like to be ramped. Too much cold feed water shocks the system.

There's not likely a power station in your country that feeds cold water to the boiler...ever heard of feedwater heating ?

economisers have been used for 150 years.

What exactly have you been working on ???

It's not anything produced post the 50s.

Here we operate on 5% governor droop so each unit contributes a small portion of the frequency maintenance instead of having the governor go full open. I'd check with your operators to see if that is really true. Its called zero governor droop and only used in emergency situations here.

It's used all day for frequency control, the system perturbations that occur...check with an operator if you like, or spend a half hour sitting atop the front pedestal...governor motor is constantly responding...and the MHG/EHG are behind the scenes perpetually controlling.

and 5% isn't "small", it's 3MPa or so of steam, sitting there ready to produce power.

What's the US average load ?

170GW of coal at any one time ?

That 5% amounts to 5GW of available (coal) power in the goverining margin (that's 7 big Units, spare, in the governing margin)...

You are saying that you've got 10-12GW of OCGTs sitting there ?

Nonsense.

You operate your system differently. I'll accept that. You don't need to keep on to prove anything.

Well what was the point of the erroneous "facts" that you threw out in your post ?

Don't want me to counter them because your stilts are shaky ?

Grow up turtle...the proponent is backfeeding his house, using wall plugs.

Electricians and emergency services personnel are expecting to have an infeed from the grid, or a dirty great big red solar Isolator (with the OC voltage and max current) when they attend a situation, not some system plugged into a wall socket and backfeeding.

It's on the wrong side of any RCD.

As an Electrical Engineer, I'm surpised that you endorse systems like this...but you are, so go figure.

If the utility power is off the inverter shuts down.

Don't want me to counter them because your stilts are shaky ?

I think you have your Knickers in a twist because someone here knows more than you on a subject. And you really can't stand that it's me.

You don't seem to understand governor droop, and the difference between system stability and generation matching. Stability or instability is the swinging of machines against one another thru system impedance.

Whatever, it'd take me years to get you up to speed on how the big boys do things. That's the difference between experience and googling things in an attempt to save face.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
What this thread has tought me is that people would rather forgive someone for being wrong than for being right.

hotwheels

Big egos butting heads. But it's fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back